Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Making The Best Of The Nice Day

Hubby Tony is one week removed from ankle surgery. The accident was on November 5 and (except for medical visits) since that time he's stayed at home and kept his leg propped up on a pile of pillows. He has his next doctor visit in a week and a half, so until then it will be more of the same.

Yesterday was heavy winter coat weather. Today the forecast called for a high close to 60 degrees. Before I left the house to go to the church and cook lunch I moved one of the kitchen chairs out to the deck so Tony could maneuver outside and sit if he wanted t.

I wore my lightweight winter coat, but by the time I was finished no coat was necessary. When I got home I saw the deck door was open. Tony was sitting on the chair and using his knee walker as a leg prop. The sun hadn't made it to that side of the building yet, and it was still a little chilly, but Tony was wearing a light jacket and seemed to be enjoying the outdoor sounds. 

We chatted for a few minutes and then I left for my walking errand-going to the post office to get postage for a volunteer mailing job Tony was doing. Tony headed to the bedroom to take a nap. I left the house with a long sleeved t-shirt and a scarf around my neck. Halfway to the post office I removed the scarf and marveled at how nice it was.

At the post office I picked out Mighty Mississippi commemorative stamps. The sheet of ten stamps had a photo of each of the states that abut the banks. I took the long way back home, and ran into a lot of other people who were out walking. There were also quite a few people doing yard work.

When I arrived back home I noticed that the deck was now in the sun. Tony and Jackson the Cat were laying together on the bed, but Tony got up and went back outside. I brought out another chair and sat with him.  Three of the building neighbors were outside. We said hello to them all, had a more extended conversation with the person who lives directly underneath us, and then just chatted. 

At this time of year it doesn't take long to go from pleasant to not so outside, and that was the case today. As soon as the sun went behind the trees across the street the temperature dropped and it was time to go inside. 

Five years ago today: Mother Of The Wedding Dressing

12 comments:

  1. Glad Tony is coping. -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that your hubby on the mend. We have been having lots of rain and quite cold too. I have to wear my heavy winter coat all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a nice day wasn't it? My son was out mulching leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day for that type of work, especially since it's supposed to rain today.

      Delete
  4. We had the same kind of day here in western Missouri. I finally took time to cover the strawberry plants with straw. It felt good to be in the garden for a little while, even when there's nothing growing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy that weather while you can. It sounds wonderful. We are barely making it into the 30s. Speedy recovery and quick healing to Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was a one-off. Today is rainy and raw.

      Delete
  6. really sorry for your hubby had an accident dear Kathy !
    this is grace of God he is recovering speedily
    your day story sounds appealing and goes nice with title
    somehow reminds me quote from Shakespeare probably that "life is work of art":)
    blessings to both of you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had anyone compare me to Shakespeare before. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like pleasant weather though. It's much too cold here to sit out. The stamps sound interesting too. Could you post a photo?

    ReplyDelete