Last night was one of those sessions. I started by tossing some cardboard boxes into the recycling bin and moved on. There were two plastic storage tubs on the shelves that were nearly empty. I had held onto them 'just in case', but it was time for them to go. I consolidated their contents into a third tub and stacked the now-empty ones outside the storage unit.
Seeing the empty spots on the shelves was a great motivator. I decided to tackle a large plastic tub on
a bottom shelf that contained miscellaneous
gardening supplies. When I picked up the tub and hoisted it onto the
floor dozens of ants started cascading off of the shelf onto the floor. And when I looked at the shelf there were easily twice that many left!
I dropped the tub back onto the shelf like a hot potato and hustled upstairs to ponder my options.
Tony was getting ready to leave for a meeting at church, and when I told him about the issue he asked what we could do. Years ago I used to sprinkle a combination of borax and flour around the outside perimeter of the house to keep ants from coming in, and responded that I thought it would be good to start with a natural remedy this time. Thee was an almost-empty box of borax in the laundry room, which I took downstairs and sprinkled on the floor and shelf.
I didn't see Tony again until this morning, and asked him if he had looked in the storage room. He told me he had, and that the ants were still active. Shortly after that I left to go to a meeting and run some errands. When I checked my phone after the meeting there was a text from Tony telling me he had gone to the hardware store, bought ant spray, and used it liberally in the storage room.
Tonight I went down to the unit to continue my interrupted decluttering. There were a few ants still moving around, so I think we'll be going back to the hardware store for some traps.
Five years ago today: Bountiful Biscuits