Thursday, November 16, 2023

Dance Party In The Pool

 Last night I was searching through the group fitness classes at my local YMCA when I came across something new to me - Aqua Zumba. I've taken pool-based classes and I've taken dance-based classes. I would have never thought to combine the two. I decided to sign up and see what it was all about.

The description on the app said the class:

"Combines high energy and motivating music with a mixture of body sculpting dance. Perform fun, invigorating moves while you use the resistance of water to get a cardio conditioning and body toning workout"

I showed up on the pool deck five minutes before the class started. There were several women already in the water, and another getting ready to get in. I asked her if the class required any special equipment and she said it did not. She also said it was a lot of fun.

Things started right on time. I recognized the instructor from a conventional Zumba class. She stood on the deck and demonstrated the steps as we followed along in the water. The sound track was a traditional Zumba mix of Latin and international music. The pace of the dances was slower because of the water resistance, but it was still challenging. Because of the water resistance I was able to move around easier in the pool than I would have on land. 

At the end of the class I was nicely winded and could tell I had exercised.

Clipart Library

 Five years ago: A Lovely Way To Spend A Day

22 comments:

  1. That sounds like something I'd like to do. I'll be checking local gyms to see if offered here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy Aqua Zumba instructorNovember 17, 2023 at 9:08 PM

      Wow Ladies THANKS!!! Please come to class. Zumba is a blast…Great music, fun rhythms and a great sculpting workout. We will grow our moves and endurance and have FUN! Thanks SO much for the lovely comments and being members of the MIST WONDERFUL KIRKWOOD YMCA❤️

      Delete
    2. Cindy, since I don't think I ever mentioned I had a blog I wonder how you found me. Glad you did :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds fun! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love to do Zumba until it started to bother my knees and shoulders. Maybe this would work for me. I'll have to look around. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll find something that will work.

      Delete
  4. I've never taken a water aerobics class but have don't aerobics in the water on my own. It's definitely a workout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part about the class was that everyone was jumping around in the water at the same time....so no one was giving others funny looks for doing it.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like so much fun. I wish I was not allergic to chlorine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be the solo synchronised swimming champion.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me know when this is and I'll come take a video for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. You should definitely check to see if there's an option in your area.

      Delete
  9. Wow! I've taken Aquacize when we lived in Illinois, but never Aqua Zumba. That's very interesting and I can imagine why you'd be winded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the combination of the two classes is a new thing?

      Delete
  10. I don't do pools, but this sounds like a great way to exercise for those of you who do. I like the idea of the groups doing things like this. And, you are so right--Shirley would be good at this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a much better exerciser in a group setting than on my own.

      Delete