Monday, November 6, 2023

Darn It!

This past weekend was one of the four fellowship business meetings I attend each year. Hubby Tony also has a part at the spring and fall events, so Friday afternoon we drove halfway across the state to a resort at the Lake of the Ozarks.

Saturday the meeting started mid-morning, had a nice long break for lunch, and concluded at dinner time. The meeting resumed Sunday morning and wrapped up at noon.

Time "fell back" Saturday night, and it was nice to see brightness in the sky when I rolled out of bed. After an in-room breakfast of bagels and cream cheese Tony and I packed up our things, checked out of the room, and then stowed everything in the car. There was an hour before we the meeting started, so we decided to take a walk through the resort grounds.

This resort is built on a series of rolling hills. We picked the first street past the hotel, following it up to the top, then turned to the left. A lot of the area is still undeveloped and very peaceful. When it was time to turn back we decided to take a smaller path instead of the road. 

Halfway down the first hill Tony slipped and fell. He couldn't get up, so I walked back to the hotel for help. The desk manager got a golf cart and we drove back to the area. With the manager's assistance Tony got himself on the back of the cart and we rode back to the hotel. 

The front desk called an ambulance, who determined it would be a good idea to have the ankle looked at at the hospital. I followed the ambulance, then stayed in the waiting room while Tony went back to the emergency room. Eventually he found out he had a nasty break that would require surgery. The only good news was that the team at the hospital did a reduction on the break, then put a splint on it so Tony could go home after he had a quick lesson on using crutches.

Back at home, Tony managed to get up to the second floor of our condo building by sitting backwards on the steps and lifting himself up each. When he reached the condo I could tell he was beat. He spent the rest of the day on the recliner couch with pillows on the footrest to keep his foot elevated. Eventually he moved to laying on the bed with the same pillows.

This morning he called a surgeon's office right when they opened, and got an appointment for later in the day. Between seeing the doctor, getting diagnostic tests done, and having a new splint put on, we were there for several hours. Surgery can't be scheduled until the swelling in Tony's foot goes down, so we have our fingers crossed that we have happened  by next week's doctor visit.

Five years ago today: The End Is Here

31 comments:

  1. Oh no Kathy! So sorry to hear this. Keep us posted. -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so sorry to hear this. That must be painful. The last month, I keep hearing about husbands falling and having these freak accidents. I sure hope his swelling goes down fast so he can get that surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to hear that Tony's not been the only one. Wonder what's going on?

      Delete
  3. sounds awful... hope things go well

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Tony slipped and fell. He couldn't get up..."
    Tony's caught the dreaded "old people syndrome". It's never going to go away. Add this to his list which he probably already has going. We'll have to start a contest where we get points for what ever happens to us each year. Most points wins... something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to visit Peggy to see what a real fun time with an old person is like.
    https://straightupnochaser.blogspot.com/2023/11/monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awful for Tony! Sounds like you acted quickly and he got some good medical care immediately.Hope he has a speedy recovery !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep it elevated and the swelling should subside. Having broken the same foot FOUR times, I know how miserable it is to be kept stationary! I made use of my son's skateboard to transport things I could carry and myself from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there's quite the back story on your foot issues. We don't have a skateboard, but I'm already trying to figure out a way he can tote things around.

      And BTW, we took Interstate 70 to get to the Lake. When we passed the kampground exit I thought of you.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, I'm so sorry that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From my experience, the first thing after a fall is to apply ice for a few hours. Ice prevents swelling and reduces pain. Afterwards, go to the hospital .If you go immediately after the fall to the hospital they put a splint , the leg gets swollen under the splint, and it becomes worse.
    Anyway, I wish Tony a speedy, smooth recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, because of the nature of the break it needed to be immobilized immediately, but will remember your advice in the future.

      Delete
  10. Oh, to get hurt while out of town! I'm sorry for this setback. Hopefully your local surgeon can take care of it easily and have Tony walking again very soon.

    Our son-in-law's mother fell after she returned from the kids' over Labor Day and broke her ankle. She had a sleek little wheelie contraption to use around the house. Her physical therapist showed her how to get up and down the steps of her mobile home. I gather you don't have an elevator in your condo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our building is only two stories tall, so no real need for an elevator. Tony is researching ankle scooters.

      Delete
  11. Oh that's too bad! I hope he gets the surgery soon and heals fast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nobody wants something like that to happen any time, but especially when they are quite a distance from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, we knew quite a few people at the meeting. One of them is a retired nurse, who was really helpful.

      Delete
  13. The sitting on the stairs going up on your butt using your arms is something I had to do living in a 3 floor townhouse. I tore my meniscus in 'gentle' yoga. Poor Tony. And poor you because you'll be fetching things for a while.hope the swelling goes down soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing quite a bit of fetching, but today Tony figured out how to carry lightweight things around in a plastic grocery bag.

      Delete
  14. I’m so sorry to hear about Tony’s accident. I hope he recovers quickly and gets back to 100% real soon. I’m sending up prayers for “Healing BLESSINGS” for Tony! Wishing all the best for the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well that is not good. Hang in there, Tony, and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, what started off bucolic sure had an unfortunate twist! I hope he has a complete recovery, that had to be a scary ordeal when you're away from Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty calm for the first couple of hours, but when my adrenaline wore off I was a mess.

      Delete
  17. Oh no, poor Tony! Hope he can be sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Praying for Tony and you, Kathy. God bless.

    ReplyDelete