Thursday, November 9, 2023

Don't Leaf It Alone

The temperature around here has been quitethe roller coaster....from a high of 49°F on the first day of November to a record-setting high of 84°F yesterday. 

Yesterday afternoon I walked to the bank. By the time I got home I was sweaty and out of sorts. But a front came through overnight and today both the high and low temperatures were completely normal (a high of 58° and a low of 40°).

Hubby Tony's broken ankle is causing him to stay around the house with his leg on a pile of pillows. Mid-afternoon I realized I needed a couple of ingredients for dinner and decided to walk up to the grocery and get them. I asked Tony if he needed anything while I was out. He didn't.

Today's breeze was nicely brisk. It was also strong enough to blow many of the remaining leaves off the trees. The subdivision next to ours is filled with mature trees, which meant that many of the sidewalks and yards were covered with thick layers of dead foliage.

At first I just enjoyed the crunching sound as I walked through the layers, but then I wondered how hard it would be to scoot some of the layers together to make a small pile to stomp through. Using the side of my foot. it turned out to be surprisingly easy. Thirty seconds later the leaves were moved from a couple of spots to reveal the grass underneath. When my pile was ready I tramped from one side to the other and back again. Then I continued on my errand as if nothing had happened. 

Five years ago: Arcane Ancestry

17 comments:

  1. We too are having rollercoaster weather...triple digits and the next day falling to Sixties...so everyone is getting sick 😷...Dawn the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer! When Oldest Son lived in Phoenix, it seemed like the weather usually broke about Columbus Day.

      Delete
  2. It seems like it has been raining leaves the past few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been having lots of rain lately...and leaves everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love walking through piles of dry leaves! Scrunch, scrunch, scrunch. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss fallen leaves. I miss the smell, the look, walking through them. But in February when it's 60 degrees I remember why we moved. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had fun in the leaves and glad Tony is coping -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do know exactly how poor Tony feels. It's no fun at all. I've broken or sprained my ankle and foot three times. I remember the kids loving the fun of jumping into piles of fallen leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always fun when we indulge our inner child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week my inner child has been a bit self-centered and bratty. It was nice to be able to do something for it.

      Delete
  9. It's great that you got out for a walk and created a little fun for yourself as well. Speedy recovery to Tony..

    ReplyDelete