Saturday, November 4, 2023

Beware of Spell Check

I've seen this poem floating around for quite a few years. Depending on which website you refer to, it was written by either Jerrold H. Zar, Margo Roark, Martha Snow, Bridgid Patrick, or Anonymous. If you have more definite information I'd appreciate if you'd share it so I can attribute appropriately.

Eye Halve a Spelling Chequer

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my pea sea.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
and weight four it to say
weather eye am wrong oar write;
it shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
it nose bee fore two long,
and eye can put the error rite;
it's rare lea ever wrong.

Eye ran this poem wright threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
such soft wear four pea seas,
and why eye mussed brake in two verse
buy which eye hope too pleas.
 
A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when I rime.
 
Each frays come posed up on my screen
eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.
 
And now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flair,
Their are no fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a ware.
 
Beecuz uv yoosing chequers
hour spelling mite decline,
and if we're lacks oar have a laps,
we wood bee maid too wine.
 
To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

 Five years ago: Don't Let The Bedbugs Bite

19 comments:

  1. I've had a few really embarrassing spell check issues. I've learned to check the spell check before hitting "send."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. think It's a good idea to rely on a real brain instead of a fake one.

      Delete
    2. My spell check presumes a lot about what it thinks I want to say and I often type too fast to realize it changed my words... Dawn the Bohemian

      Delete
  2. Kay of Musings: Yup! Spellcheck can really drive me crazy. There are times, I’ve not reread what I’ve texted and regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than half of my texting issues can be attributed to my fat fingers, so I look things over carefully.

      Delete
  3. I actually could read that. Not very fast, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun poem! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s a clever poem. Yeah spell check is annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall it's been more helpful than not, but I've learned to take the results with a big grain of salt.

      Delete
  6. Thats funny. I'm one who types out texts and sends them when I don't have my reading glasses handy only to see the muck up auto correct has made of what I tried to type. I appreciate this poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my font size set to standard, but it's getting really hard to read. I'm thinking I might need to increase it in the very near future.

      Delete
  7. This is an interesting post, thank you for sharing it. I totally agree with you ... "Beware of Spell Check."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoever the author is, he cannot spell.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think this is spell-check. per se, but I am really liking the suggestions made by my iPhone while I am typing on it. I think it is a form of AI, having gotten to know my syntax and wording, the phone can now "almost" write for me. It sure saves me lots of time to let it choose and type the words. I have not seen these suggestions on my MacBook Pro, though. Maybe the new operating system will have more of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just when I think my Apple products are learning my writing style they give me suggestions that make NO sense.

      Delete
  10. This is very clever. When I use voice- it comes out all wrong and sometimes even says something ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to use Voice one time. It did not go well.

      Delete