Saturday, November 11, 2023

Toasty Toes

Hubby Tony can't have surgery on his broken ankle until the swelling goes down. He has an appointment on Monday morning to assess the progress, but until then he's been sitting and laying with his leg propped up on a stack of pillows.

His splint goes most of the way up his leg, but his toes are exposed to the elements. It's been a little chilly in the house, and those exposed toes were getting cold. There was no way we could get a sock over the splint, bur I found a simple pattern for an elasticized fleece cover on the internet that would work. The only problem was that I didn't have any pieces of fleece in my fabric stash.

On my way to church I stopped into a thrift store to see if they might have any remnants. They did not, but I brought home a knit sock cap. Eventually I'll put some elastic around the top but for right now it does the job.

 Five years ago: Floating And Flashing

17 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That is so perfect! You are a wonderful caregiver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After walking around a bit Tony reported the cap isn't very secure on his foot, but it works fine when he's sitting down.

      Delete
  2. So glad you found something warm for Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good. If I have cold feet I can't get the rest of me warm. Hope he's sorted soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a glove for the toes. There are gloves for toes just as there are gloves for hand fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google gave me some great hits. Just need to pick the best one and get it taken care of.

      Delete
  5. I love this kind of creativity! Sorry to hear your hubby broke his ankle. My mom fell on her driveway during a blizzard when she was 62, crawled back into the house, called an ambulance and had the requisite surgery after the storm. That was a long winter! I wish your hubby a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Handwarmers are really nice. I stick them in socks to help the cats after surgery stay warm. Some have sticky on one side which is really nice to stick them on the socks then turn the sock inside out. Your knit hat solution is clever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great idea on the sock cap, very creative. I'm just stopping by to check on you and Tony to see how you both are doing and say hello. It has been a while, SO thought I'd better check-in.

    I Wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you both, still praying Tony is getting better every day. Wishing you well, my friend! Have a wonderful and blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just fyi, I don't do a reader. I follow my blog list which I have set up to update when a new post is posted. But sometimes it doesn't update everything right away. Yours was one of them yesterday. I'm always checking back down the list to see if I missed one. Peggy is another one that typically shows up late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is a great resource....except when it isn't.

      Delete
  9. It's amazing what you can find in a thrift store! The sock is perfect and so creative. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete