Monday, November 13, 2023

Bummer!

Hubby Tony had an appointment this morning to check on the status of his broken ankle. Unfortunately, the surgeon announced that it's still too swollen for surgery, so the procedure is on hold until (hopefully) next week.

It was a nice sunny day, and Tony hadn't been out of the condo since last Monday, so instead of coming straight home I did a couple of errands. Tony enjoyed sitting in the car while I popped in and out of the stores. When we got home I had a little over an hour before leaving again to head to the church to cook dinner for the priests.

After such a busy morning I wanted to put together an easy meal. Yesterday's breakfast had included waffles, and had I put the leftovers in the refrigerator. Leftovers are rarely eaten, so the waffles were my inspiration ingredient for an entree of chicken and waffles. At the grocery store I picked up chicken fingers from the deli and a bags of cole slaw mix and frozen french fries for side dishes.

At the parish office I stopped to turn in the receipts to the office and then headed to the kitchen to put the food away. I opened up the refrigerator and discovered that most of the leftover waffles were gone. Bummer!

I switched gears. Dinner ended up being the chicken and french fries, cole slaw, a small casserole of mac and cheese, and a couple of cornbread muffins I found in the freezer. At the end of the meal all of the food was gone except for some mac and cheese. As I put the casserole in the refrigerator I wondered if it would be there or gone when I showed up on Wednesday for staff lunch?

Five years ago: Soldiers Memorial Military Museum

22 comments:

  1. The priests are lucky too have you deciding on what to eat. If that were me, they would be having McDonalds every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if left to their own devices they'd decide on McDonald's, too.

      Delete
  2. Chicken and fries with coleslaw sounds wonderful to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first heard about the entree it seemed strange...not exactly a breakfast, but waffles for dinner? I've learned it's a great combination.

      Delete
  3. Seems like you can't plan on that! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's something I absolutely need I put it in a plastic grocery bag and stash it in the back of the refrigerator.

      Delete
  4. I know this is going to sound silly but Priets can't make their own meals like fireman do? It seems a bit 1950s. But what do I know, I'm a recovered Catholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know that with fewer priests available the ones remaining are stretched pretty thin. For example, this church's rectory has five bedrooms, and from what I've heard at one time they were all filled. Now there are only two men doing the job.

      And besides, I really like the creatively of cooking, so if someone wants to pay me to do it I won't complain :-)

      Delete
  5. Kathy, c'mon over I could use the help :-) if you love the creativity of cooking. I hate cooking and I need to make all things from scratch due to Celiac. Sucks. Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that always the way? If you think they'll be there, they're not, but if you'd bought more, they would have still been in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, and I hate buying things I don't need that will often go to waste.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I’m happy that you visited my blog the other day, thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  8. You are obviously an awesome, accomplished cook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do they say grace before the meal?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's just the priests (or priests and deacons) eating they take their food in the dining room and bow their head for quiet prayer. For staff lunch on Wednesday the group prayers communally before going through the serving line.

      Delete
  10. I've so sorry about Tony. I hope the swelling goes down soon. Your priests are so very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh it must be annoying a little to find waffles gone dear Kathy
    my son mentioned once that once while sharing room people would mention their name on their stuff they keep in shared fridge or any other area
    speedy recovery to your hubby my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually put ingredients I have to have inside a plastic grocery bag to 'claim' it, but this meal was more spur of the moment. I'll learn....

      Delete