Saturday, July 27, 2024

For The Sake Of Research

I've been so busy filling my days with nothingness that I forgot to mention the cool stuff coming up.

You may remember that I completed a Parkinson's Disease smell test and submitted my results online. I figured I was done with the procedure, but then I received an email from a researcher at the Parkinson’s Progression Markers Initiative (PPMI) Study at Indiana University. She asked if I would be available for a call from their team about the next step in the study. I was.

During the call I found out the study is enrolling people both with and without Parkinson's. I was chosen because of the results of the smell text, my age, and sex. No specific result details were given, but they asked if I was interested in completing a DaTscan diagnostic imaging test for research purposes. I was.

I figured that with the excellent research hospitals in St. Louis I would be commuting across town for the test, but the closest facility is in Chicago. In early August Hubby Tony and I will travel to the Windy City. I will spend the better part of one day testing, then we come home the next day. All expenses will be reimbursed.

I'm looking forward to it.

Rawpixel

15 comments:

  1. I took the test also. I got an email also. Mine said there will be other studies I could participate in. Meh...
    If they decide you may have the beginnings of Parkinsons, we'll have to talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess in this case my age or sex worked in my favor :-)

      Delete
  2. I hope everything goes well!
    In any case,
    it is very good that these tests and studies exist,
    because if you find something at an early stage it has a completely different result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope that they would share any disturbing results with me.

      Delete
  3. It does seem a shame that you have to travel a fair distance to take the test. It will be an interesting experience, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Filling my days with nothingness sounds like what I've been doing too. Good. luck with the test- hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blaming the heat for my lack of energy.

      Delete
  5. Good for you Kathy! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow a free trip to Chicago. That would be really worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking your brain to Chicago. The rest of you might be able to squeeze in one sight seeing adventure. My niece and her daughter travel from Atlanta to Philadelphia for their unique contribution to a rare disease research. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're already making plans for the extra time.

      Delete
  8. Interesting. Your participation will surely help others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kudos to you! It"ll do you and others good.

    ReplyDelete