Monday, July 22, 2024

Worth The Price I Paid?

Several years ago I decided to start giving store marketing campaigns a fake birthday date to reduce the chance of identify theft. That's also given me the opportunity to take advantage of 'birthday' promotions all year long.

At the beginning of this month a soap and body product company sent me an email and let me know I could come in and get a bath bomb or shower fizzy for my special day. I had heard of the former, but I can't remember the last time I took a bath. I had no idea what a 'fizzy' was. When I got there I learned a fizzy was a type of aromatherapy you could use in a shower.

I chose a fizzy that described itself as citrus-y. When I picked it up to take a sniff I could smell notes of lemon, lime, and orange through the plastic covering. According to the label, the ingredients were all natural-sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), citric acid, fragrance, mica, and titanium.

I saved the fizzy for a day that I didn't have to take a rushed shower, which was a couple of days after I brought it home. Finally it was time. The directions said to place the fizzy on the shower floor under the direct stream of water, where it would dissolve and release its fragrance.

I followed the directions, setting the water temperature so it was nice and warm. However, after an initial burst of fizzing and scent releasing the partially-dissolved disk just laid there. I finished my shower, removed the remaining product, and moved on with my day. Later my friend Google suggested the shelf life of my product was about six months and after that time they would become less potent. At least I got some enjoyment out of it.

Vector Portal

Five years ago today: It's Good To Make A Plan, But Also Good To Be Flexible

12 comments:

  1. "take a rushed shower"
    No no no no no! Is there hot water left? Then the shower is not over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a good idea to have a fake birthday! I've never heard of a shower fizzy. Did you enjoy it, even though it was just a brief burst?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good way for a company to get rid of old stock apparently. At least you got SOME fizz and fragrance out of it! I always give a fake birthday date too. Frequently I'm a New Year's Baby, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years I gave my real (January) birthday, and eventually discovered in the beginning of the year I'm still in diet mode and don't want to spend extra money.

      Delete
  4. I suspect that was why it was a promo Freebie. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that you get products on your birthday. I have never seen that. Too bad about the short shelf life and the disappointment. But at least it worked a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I like that idea of a fake birthday! I have never been thrilled with the fizzy I seem to waste most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! That should help on the threat of identity theft & a few discounts to boot.

    ReplyDelete