Monday, July 29, 2024

Dog Days

I've heard the phrase "the dog days of summer" my whole life, and always thought it referred to the hot humid weather which caused dogs and people to laze around. Tonight I learned that it's much more than that.

The dog days are the period during which the star Dog Star Sirius (the brightest star in the sky after the Sun and part of the constellation Canis Major) rises at the same time as the sun in the Northern Hemisphere, which happens for the 40 days between July 3 and August 11. 

The event has been noted by civilizations starting with the Ancient Egyptians. The Greeks gave the star its name, and the Romans blamed the star for the extra heat that happened at that time of the year. Now we have a much more scientific explanation for the occurrence, but the expression has stuck around.

And here's a song that always reminds me of the dog days.  Enjoy!

Five years ago: Too Good To Be True

13 comments:

  1. Nice old song -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learn something new everyday!! I love that song and started singing along as did my husband who sits on his computer behind me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I didn't remember the verses-just the chorus :-)

      Delete
  3. I shall have that song in my head all day. I don't mind - it's a cheerful song:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I've got an idea! Lets meet up for a jog today in Forest Park around 3PM. I could be a little late so wait for me. 😵

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! You didn't tell me exactly where in the park to meet.

      Delete
  5. That's interesting! And the Nat King Cole song feels right for today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know that! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete