Sunday, April 21, 2024

Doing My "Smell" Part

Less than a week after I signed up for a Parkinson's Disease smell test the materials were delivered via a UPS bubble envelope. Inside that envelope there was a page with directions as well as a sealed standard envelope. That envelope had everything I needed to complete the test-an identification code, four test booklets, and a sharpened pencil.

The test instructions were easy to follow. Starting with the first book I was to use the tip of the pencil to scratch the sample on each page, smell it, then fill in the circle that corresponded to one of the four scent answers. If what I thought I smelled wasn't one of the choices I was to pick the closest answer, and if I couldn't smell anything I should guess.

Each book took five minutes to get through. However, I found that by the time a book was finished my nose needed an additional five minute break. When all the books were completed I entered the answers online. After I finished entering the information the website thanked me for my time and said I could discard the test. My tiny part of the research was finished.

Five years ago today: Happy Easter 2019

20 comments:

  1. Very cool that you helped. The nose break makes good sense. Happy New Week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago they would use coffee beans to reset your smeller - then to find out it is a myth. But for some it’s a placebo effect.
    That research was interesting and easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the middle of the process I was trying to think of what I had used in the past to reset my sense of smell. Thanks to you now I remember what it was.

      Delete
  3. That smell test is fascinating, I had never heard of such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to learn about this test thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fairly new reader, do you have Parkinson's? Or is this a trial research thing? Very interesting. I know if you lose your smell it's a sign of Alzheimer's but didn't know this pertained to Parkinson's. Interesting as hell though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have Parkinson's. Loss of smell is one marker for the disease, so researchers are trying to gather information. I agree the whole thing is very interesting.

      Delete
  6. That is really cool. I'm sure you are helping others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's impressive how quickly you received the Parkinson's Disease smell test materials, and the instructions seem straightforward enough to follow. It's understandable that the process involves a bit of guesswork and selecting the closest scent answer, especially if the smells aren't immediately recognizable. I hope the test goes smoothly for you, and that it provides helpful insights. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed with how quickly the materials came, and how interesting the test was to complete.

      Delete
  8. I figured it out. The unable to comment thing. It's my new browser, Brave. I must have third party cookies turned off somewhere in the settings. I here on my Chrome browser and everything is working. Time to do some investigating into Brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I hadn't heard off Brave, but did some research and it sounds like a solid option. For a variety of reasons I'm committed to Firefox.

      Delete
  9. I had to take a smell test too. I failed miserably. They gave me several booklets to do. As it is, I can't smell anything and taste very little.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, what a fantastic test. As far as I'm aware, we have nothing like that in UK, or if we have, it's passed me by.

    ReplyDelete