Friday, July 26, 2024

Olympiad Opening

Hubby Tony and I were looking for something to do this afternoon, and when I learned via Facebook that 9 Mile Garden (an entertainment and food truck venue) was showing the Olympics Opening Ceremony on their big screen we decided to go and watch the event outside.
The view from under my table umbrella

I would have thought that more people would have come out for the ceremony, but counting us there were only a couple dozen there. I guess the early afternoon start (12:30 pm) kept working people away. It was also hot. Tony and I found seats at one of the tables with umbrellas. Between the shade it threw and a sporadic breeze it wasn't too bad to be outside.

There were two food trucks lined up along the east side of the park. We got some iced coffee from the first, and later ordered tostones (twice-fried green plantains) from the Colombian food truck. The crunchy circles were starchy like a potato and came with a container of salsa for dipping.

As much as I would have liked to have stayed for the whole opening ceremony both Tony and I had things we needed to do, so after ninety minutes we headed back to the car. I knew that I would be able to catch the rest when it was rebroadcast later tonight.

Five years ago today: If Only I Could Be This Flexible

19 comments:

  1. The highlight of the opening ceremonies for me was Celine Dion's powerhouse one-song performance right at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a TV news article that you can see the Olympics at AMC theaters here in KC... not sure about elsewhere. They talked about sitting in the theaters reclining seats with a tub of popcorn while watching!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like the branches in St. Louis are showing selected events.

      Delete
  3. I pick indoors in KC. I was out cutting the front yard yesterday and it was muggy and HOT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mistake was actually trying to get something done in the heat instead of sitting in the shade :-)

      Delete
  4. It was a very long ceremony, but there were some interesting parts. Mainly it rained!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided it would have been nice to have a mindless activity to do during the less interesting parts.

      Delete
  5. Wow! That screen looks spectacular and one would have thought that more people would have shown up to watch. We actually got mixed up with the time and didn't turn it on until 8:00 at night, so we missed a great part of it too. My husband's first language is French so he wanted to hear all the French music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news is that much of it is available online.

      Delete
  6. Yes the screen is huge, good choice! I also enjoyed the ceremony, I was moved by Celine Dion!
    Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her performance was definitely one of the highlights

      Delete
  7. I watched highlights. I was moved by a clip of local people at outdoor cafes trying to hold back their tears when Celine Dion performed. Apparently she performed the same Edith Piaf song years ago to boost their spirits after the song after the terror attacks in 2015. She's a Canadian treasure, so it was nice to see her managing her health troubles. I'm sure it would be quite an experience to attend the opening ceremony of any Olympic games. I visited Paris in 1991 and I'd love to see it in person again, someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the backstory about Celine's performance.

      Delete
  8. Her voice is something else (Celine's).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. Celine’s performance was my favorite.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't talked to anyone who said they didn't like it.

      Delete