Sunday, December 10, 2023

Love It!

This afternoon Hubby Tony had some envelopes that needed to be mailed. I needed some steps. Our mail carrier has been a little unreliable lately so I told Tony if he put the envelopes in a grocery bag I would walk them up to the post office, then take the long way home.

The day was sunny but brisk. My walk to the post office took five minutes longer than it would have otherwise, because I had to stop and admire the pair of hawks perched on the light pole.

Unlike smaller birds who fly away when I try to get close, these two could have cared less that there was a person nearby taking their photo.

I made the post office drop and continued on my way. As I was meandering down a connector road I saw a sign in front of a house on the other side of the street.

I checked for traffic and crossed the road to take a better look. There was a table filled with black florist buckets holding bunches of single variety, cellophane wrapped flowers. More buckets were on the grass below. 

Thanks to the brisk temperatures many of the flowers were droopy, and I didn't know if I could revive them, but a bunch of green button mums and a bunch of rust-colored calla lily blooms came home with me. The combination felt holiday festive.

It took me 20 minutes to get home, and I tried to keep the flowers safe. I ended up putting the empty grocery bag over the bloom end so they wouldn't get blown around, but wished I had something to keep the stems wet. Back at home I arranged the blooms in a vase and added a packet of flower food. Some of the mums were starting to shed petals, but they perked up with food and drink.

Five years ago: A Holiday Diversion

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Glad you brought them home

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful! What a nice gesture for that house to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a very productive walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy productivity a lot more than walking 'just because'.

      Delete
  4. How cool that the flowers were there. Brisk is nice to walk in. I like those kinds of walks for sure. And then I like getting home to the warm home too. Both are fun. Happy New Week. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would much rather walk in brisk than humid, and you're right about coming into a nice warm house :-)

      Delete
    2. Same. I'd rather that than the hot and sticky.

      Delete
  5. That was a lucky find and I wonder if those hawks were siblings. Aren't hawks generally solitary unless mating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm far from a bird expert, but thought they might be a pair. I think they mate for life?

      Delete