Thursday, December 7, 2023

Counting Down The Days

When Hubby Tony and I were getting ready to welcome December I realized that with his broken ankle  the month would look very different than it usually does. There would be little to no out of the house socializing; the organization, fellowship, and club parties we usually attend would have to get by without our presence.

In an effort to liven things up in the house, for the first time in decades I hung the Countdown to Christmas calendar that we used when the boys were young. It has a pocket for each day, and I would fill each with a strip of paper that had an activity that would help us get ready for Christmas. The calendar came with a cute mouse that moved from pocket to pocket to mark the time. The 1990s version of the calendar had activities like visiting Santa, decorating the house, watching holiday shows on TV, and making presents. So far the adult version has been filled with instructions to look elsewhere for a treat, inspirational sayings, and activities

Tonight would have been the first of the Christmas parties. This one offers a happy hour, buffet meal, and a selection of desserts. Instead of eating another home-cooked meal Tony arranged for me to pick up dinner from a local catering company. (In honor of the event today's calendar activity said KATHY DOESN'T HAVE TO COOK TONIGHT!)

On the way home from running errands this afternoon I stopped by the catering company. I came home with a brown paper sack of food. At dinner time it only took a couple of minutes to put the salads into bowls and heat and plate the entrees. 

Each meal came with a salad (Italian for Tony and Vineyard with fruit and sweet poppy seed dressing for me).

Tony's entree was Stuffed Green Peppers with ground sirloin, brown rice, and vegetable marinara. I had Chicken Crepes with berry relish and honey almond green beans.

For dessert, leftover chocolate gooey butter cookies from the freezer paired nicely with a juicy pear.

Five years ago: The Search Is Over

21 comments:

  1. A wonderful meal! The time will be over before you know it and Tony will be back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As fast as time is flying I know you're right!

      Delete
  2. Such a comforting and delicious meal. Love that advent calender, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McDonalds, Steak & Shake, and Dierbergs deli cater us often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right after Tony's accident (when he couldn't do anything for himself) I relied heavily on the discount case at Dierbergs.

      Delete
    2. Ooohhh yeah, I always check the discount case.

      Delete
  4. Great food! With a bit of patience, Tony will overcome the ankle problem and return to the usual activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His plan is to get back to normal as soon as possible.

      Delete
  5. I love peanut butter on apples and bananas, almonds too, but haven't tried it on pears. I'm not sure how my sister in law's broken ankle is doing. She can't get around at all either, so I don't think much will be going on with them for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruit and nut butter is a great combination, but my dessert of chocolate cookie and pear really hit the spot. Tony's mobility took big strides forward when he got a knee scooter.

      Delete
  6. Terry and I are both in perfect health here, yet, I am letting others do the cooking for us. We went out on Thursday evening to our favorite Mexican restaurant. Brought home enough leftovers to last a couple of meals. Then on Friday I picked up three meals from the small bakery/cafe that makes good food--chicken pot pie, roast beef, sausage ravioli. Terry can eat on those over the weekend. Then, on Monday I am having Ladies Who Lunch at one of Fresno's best restraunts so will bring home something from there for him to eat. No one around here will go hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished dinner, but your parade of dishes has my mouth watering!

      Delete
  7. Have you considered putting "Kathy doesn't have to cook dinner tonight" in all of the pockets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an interesting experiment, but I don't know that my digestive system, or my waistline, would be a fan :-)

      Delete
  8. What a great idea! Must try that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to think I really liked peanut butter, but when I bought a big size and couldn't finish it within a year, I realized I didn't actually use it as much as I thought. That's a great idea! I should try that.
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back when I had three teenage stomachs to fill I regularly bought the discount club size container of peanut butter. Now the jars from the grocery store work just fine.

      Delete
  10. Kathy doesn't have to cook tonight!
    I love that. So funny.
    Here's to hubby getting healed up.
    Happy Holidays! Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like cooking, but this was supposed to be a night out.

      Delete