Thursday, December 21, 2023

Dinner By Candlelight

The Winter Solstice occurs in my area tonight at 9:27 PM.

Most cultures do something to commemorate the shortest daylight of the year. The Romans celebrated Saturnalia. At Stonehenge in England people gather to see the sun rise over the stones. The Hopi tribe celebrates Soyal. There is Dongzhi in China, and Yalda in Iran. Closer to home, at Cahokia Mounds there was a discussion about the day on December 17th, but no ceremony (out of respect for Native American cultures).

Hubby Tony and I usually don't make a big deal out of the day, but since this year his broken ankle has kept us around the house more than usual we decided to have dinner by candlelight. I arranged some battery operated candles on a tray and dimmed the lights.

From the table we could see the Christmas tree lights and a dimmed can light over the fireplace mantel. Our dinner music was a Winter Solstice playlist on the computer. It included many lovely songs, including this new-to-me one:

Five years ago: Cooking By The Seat Of My Pants

12 comments:

  1. How nice, love the candles too -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the Aqualung Jethro Tull I remember. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, but from the first notes of the song I knew who it was. Not many rock bands with a flute.

      Delete
  3. Good idea! The candle arrangement looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoy using flameless candles; no worries about open fire or spilling was.

      Delete
  4. We are enjoying fake candles this year. I love the lights. There are good reasons that many people celebrated lights in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard that song, but this brought back a fun memory of having seen Tull at an outdoor summer concert. For some reason security pulled me out of the crowd and brought me up to the edge of the stage, where the band was just inches in front of me. Fun experience, fun memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you and the hubby had a lovely evening. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete