Saturday, December 2, 2023

For Liz

On Wednesday I wrote about buying Mighty Mississippi commemorative stamps for Hubby Tony. Liz at Finding Life Hard asked if I could post a photo of my purchase. I would be delighted to.

Whenever possible I choose commemorative stamps instead of generic ones. According to the USPS website, the pane arrangement on the front of this sheet of ten stamps shows the north/south and west/east location of each state.

 
The stamp details:
  • Minnesota shows the headwaters at Lake Itasca
  • Wisconsin offers an autumn view of the Great River Road 
  • Iowa shows a steamboat near the city of Bettendorf 
  • Illinois displays a sailboat passing limestone bluffs 
  • Missouri illustrates the St. Louis skyline and Gateway Arch at sundown 
  • Kentucky presents the city of Wickliffe just downriver from where the Ohio River joins 
  • Arkansas offers a levee next to a forest and farmland 
  • Tennessee shows a towboat pushing a row of barges upstream toward Memphis 
  • Louisiana offers the New Orleans skyline and Crescent City Connection bridge
  • Mississippi shows a delta bayou and cypress trees with Spanish moss

And after all that information, on the back of the sheet there’s a map of the river and its major tributaries.

11 comments:

  1. But you're supposed to COLLECT those stamps, not use them. That's how the USPS makes extra money. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer for them that we use stamps as postage.

      Delete
  2. Very nice -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is cool tho
    I just shared a new post and would love for you to check it out. Thanks a bunch!
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/12/festive-and-heartwarming-holiday-films.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting information about commemorative stamps. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to buy unusual Stamps even just for Mailing, they've had some good ones over the years. A few Panels I've kept as a Collection. They had a block once that had every State.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ALWAYS choose a commemorative stamp over a generic one.

      Delete
  6. I would love to take a road trip vacation down the Mississippi from headwaters along its journey to the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After taking the River Road on our trip to Galena I think the entirety is on my list too. (Although maybe broken into sections.)

      Delete
  7. Only just seen this! Thank you for posting. Lovely stamps and what a huge and long river it is. Hope I get to see it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mississippi is the second longest river in the country. It's eclipsed by the Missouri, one of its tributaries.

      Delete