Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Squash Samples

The other day I was browsing through the produce department of the Asian market. Next to the bin of Japanese eggplant I saw a strange green item that looked like like a lumpy, unripe pear. 

Wikipedia

The sign on the shelf told me it was chayote. I did a quick Google search, and found out chayote was a type of summer squash. It was on sale for only 99 cents a pound, so a cheap experiment if Hubby Tony and I ended up not liking it. I selected two squash, and put them in my basket.

Back at home, I did some more research to figure out the best way to prepare my new purchase. A video from America's Test Kitchen offered five suggestions--stir fried, sauteed, raw, pickled, and with sugar and salt. After mulling over the options, I decided to prepare each squash differently so Tony and I could compare and contrast.

I cut each squash into thin slices, then tossed the first one with a mixture of sugar and salt and let it set for 10 minutes for the flavors to meld. (The video suggested 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt for a 12-ounce squash. Mine was closer to eight ounces, so I downsized accordingly.) I sauteed the other one with onion, then seasoned it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

At dinnertime Tony heated up the planned leftovers and set them on the table. I added the bowls of squash, and we took spoonfuls of each. The sweet and salty chayote was crunchy and slightly sweet. It tasted a little bit like a cucumber and the texture was similar to jicama. The sauteed one was softer, but still had a nice bite. 

By the time the meal was over there was no squash left.

Five years ago: Conspicuously Concealed

10 comments:

  1. I thought you were going to go to Costco and step on all the food items those lady's give away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck no! Sometimes that's the best part of my diet for the day.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of chayote. I'll check it out in the supermarket.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has different names in different parts of the world, but it always has the same weird look.

      Delete
  3. Those do sound good! I think I would prefer the savory over the sweet. Pumpkin is about the only squash that sounds good sweet to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter used to call those “Shrek’s
    Butt” ~Akasha

    ReplyDelete