Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Tossing Out Old Food

 November 29th is the 333rd day of the year, and 32 days left until the end of the year. It is also (according to the National Today website) Throw Out Your Leftovers Day.

Pixabay
I hate to waste money by letting food go to waste, so Hubby Tony and I do a good job of monitoring what's in the refrigerator and using it up quickly. However, despite our diligence, this week we were unable to get rid of all of the Jello salad from Thanksgiving. Not only was the dish past its prime, it was taking up primo shelf space in the refrigerator.

I removed the container out of the refrigerator and took a good look at the contents before tossing them down the garbage disposal. There was no sign of mold, but the Jello was no longer a vibrant color, and there was a puddle of liquid that had exuded into the empty part of the pan. Time for the dish to go.

But hiding behind the jello salad I found a container of pineapple juice. When Tony announced he was taking the last of the muffins to have with his lunch I used that pineapple juice to make a new batch. This time it was leftovers for the win!

Five years ago: It Was Nice While It Lasted

13 comments:

  1. The higher food prices go, the more diligent we become in making sure to use or freeze (where possible) everything we buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Repurposing leftovers is a great skill to have.

      Delete
  2. Like you I hate tossing food! I hate waste of any kind, but with the price of food nowadays, I hate this the most. I always feel so noble when I use up leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I can put together an entire meal from things that have already been cooked I think it's a great day.

      Delete
  3. I've got one more turkey leg left. I could drop it off for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A farmer friend of mine has a pig with three legs. I asked him why. He said to avoid waste he eats it a bit at a time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I are very diligent in eating leftovers and never ever wasting food if we can help it! I'm trying to concentrate on only cooking enough for two these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to cook for two, isn't it? Since most recipes make four servings I've settled into a schedule ofcooking something fresh every other day.

      Delete
  6. We recently did this yet again, seems everyone forgets their leftovers are even in there and then everyone assumes they belonged to someone other than them... so nobody wants to eat them. I don't know why we bother saving uneaten foods, they almost always end up Garbage bound, but I hate waste too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm running into the leftover problem at the parish I'm working at. There is a bowl of turkey that's been there since Thanksgiving, and I don't want to be the one to toss it.

      Delete