Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Thanks For Listening

A month ago I woke up with a nasty sore throat, which only got worse as the day went on. For the next 48 hours I tried to manage the symptoms, but on the second night those symptoms kept me from sleeping and the next morning I went to an urgent care. After listening to my woes, the nurse practitioner suggested testing for a couple of different things. All came back negative, so she told me I had a virus that would resolve itself in several days.

That wasn't the information I wanted to hear, but she was right. After dosing myself with aspirin, taking long steamy showers, sucking on cough drops, and using Vick's Vaporub at bedtime the sore throat finally disappeared.

Fast forward to this week, when I got a bill for a couple of hundred dollars from the hospital affiliated with the urgent care center. The next day I got a letter from the hospital, which suggested that the insurance company had misunderstood their coding and ended up denying part of the claim. The letter went on to say they had filed an appeal in my behalf. However, it suggested I also contact the insurance company myself and explain the situation.

This morning I called the number on the back of my insurance card and navigated the automated system until I reached a friendly-sounding associate whose first language was obviously English. She asked for my name. I told her it was Kathy, then added [My Legal First Name] and [Last Name]. The associate had great observational skills, because for the rest of the call she called me Kathy. At the end of the call I thanked her for the treatment. She responded by saying that's what I asked to be called, and as a Barbara who preferred Barb she understood how important a name was.

Five years ago today: Random Pre-Thanksgiving Thoughts

17 comments:

  1. I'm actually impressed that you were able to actually get through to a person, and one who was actually able to help you. That's a rarity these days.

    And I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me less than five minutes to get through the automated portion and hold for a short time. Not bad at all.

      Delete
  2. "My Legal First Name" or as I like to call it, my government name. I go by my middle name. Always have. All my accounts with any company, my house, my car, all have first initial middle name. Then along comes medicare. Sorry, you have to use your first name. You think your doctor knows who you are? HA! My PCP started calling me by my first name. There is no where on there computer system to correct my name.

    If Famous Barr could have a billing name and address; and a shipping name and address; you would think some dumbass programmer could figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that Medicare thinks that since they're take it or leave it they can do whatever they want? Thanks for the old St. Louis native Famous Barr reference. Hadn't thought about them in quite some time.

      Delete
  3. It does make a difference them calling your name I guess, a more personal feeling

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's only one thing that helps me with a sore throat - and that's undiluted lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of honey and lemon juice but never juice straight up. Will keep the fact in mind (but hopefully I won't need it for a very long time).

      Delete
  5. Is it worked out, I hope, the coding mistake and bill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too, but sometimes it takes a while for things to resolve themselves.

      Delete
  6. I dislike dealing with Administrative Errors on Billing or fighting an Insurance Denial, good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twenty years ago I worked at an insurance broker's office. One of my jobs was to quarterback any issues his clients had with their health insurance. (This was before HIPPA, so I just needed to had the client's verbal permission.) I learned a lot about being pleasantly assertive on the phone.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I'm impressed you were able to get a live person in such a short time. Automated answering machines drive me crazy theses days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on my past experience this insurance company has a good track record for being responsive.

      Delete