Friday, November 4, 2022

Always Something New To Taste

This weekend Hubby Tony and I are attending a business meeting for an organization. The meeting takes place at a hotel at Lake of the Ozarks, but there is also a Zoom option which requires laptops, cameras, projectors, and speakers. Last year I volunteered to house the equipment at my house, which requires me to arrive early with a trunk full of supplies.

Tony and I got on the road mid-morning. I had packed finger food lunches for both of us, which we pretty much ate while driving. However, for some reason the finger food lunch turned out not to be enough for either of us. When I stopped for gas outside Rolla, the marquee outside the convenience store had signs for both Stuckey's, and a place called Turbo Joe's.

Although a Stuckey's Pecan Log is always a great choice, the steam table on the other side of the building had a nice selection of fried foods. I was fascinated by the golf ball-sized orbs in the front row, which were labelled as  Boudin Balls. The associate told me they were a mix of sausage and rice, battered, and deep fried. Tony and I looked at each other and decided that an order of those balls would make a fine supplement to lunch.

The boudin balls were as good as they looked, similar to the to the interior of a stuffed pepper-soft but firm at the same time, and had a nice jalapeno kick.

Wikipedia

 Later, Google told me that boudin was a type of Cajun pork sausage. Sometimes it includes pork liver and heart (but there was no taste of those in what I ate. Thank goodness).

Five years ago: Who's Your Cat Daddy?

16 comments:

  1. Well... now you've made me hungry. Have fun in the Ozarks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a little time on Friday after we dropped off the tech items, but once the meeting started this morning except for meal breaks things will be busy. Then when the meeting is over at noon on Sunday I will be anxious to get back home.

      Delete
  2. It's a good thing you eat healthy foods the rest of the time--this boudin ball would have probably killed me. It sounds like something my grandmother would have make. She fried everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our order included three large balls. I would have been satisfied with one, but did my part and ate half of the extra one. My stomach was on the verge of registering a protest.

      Delete
  3. Those do look and sound very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of Boudin Balls. I made cats treats yesterday and realized these would be perfect to carry in the car as high protein snacks. They're just an egg mixed with tuna or sardines or whatever, flour and cheese, then baked. Like crab cakes. Anyhow, I think I ate half the cat treats. Great car finger food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a wonderful treat or even a light meal. I hope the cats weren't disappointed there was less for them,

      Delete
  5. They were really sounding delicious until you got to the possible ingredient list, good thing you ate first and read later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of sausage and dressing balls. These look good. You are adventurous trying new foods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One NEVER wants to know what is in sausage or 'lunch' meats!! Tho I do think it is funny how folks decide what meat parts are 'good' and what are 'bad' by what they are rather than taste. Those boudin balls sound yummy. I'll have to work up a recipe for them!

    ReplyDelete