Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Culinarian

About a month ago a woman that I know from church posted on her Facebook wall that the parish she works at was looking for a part-time cook for the priests and staff.

I'm not sure what prompted me to respond inquiring about the hours, but I definitely wasn't thinking about myself. 

Later that day I got a personal message from her. She started by telling me she had been working as the receptionist at that parish's office for the past year, and went on to say that if I wanted more information about the job I could call the parish Director of Operations. I knew the man-both because one of his children was in elementary school with my youngest and he used to have that same job at my church. (As our chat conversation developed I also found out that the office administrative assistant also used to do that job at my church. Quite the connection there.)

Before that day I had no desire to have a job, but as I thought about it the prospect fascinated me. I like to cook, and getting paid to do it would be a nice bonus. It would also be a challenge to figure out the likes and dislikes of people who aren't related to me. The job was only six hours a week, so it was more like a side hustle. 

I talked with Hubby Tony and decided to call the Director of Operations. We chatted on the phone, then I discussed the whole subject over again with Tony. The next week I went to talk to the Director in person. I met the pastor, who seemed like a nice guy. I made sure they knew that I make multiple trips out of town to see the family. When they asked me if I was interested in the position I said I was. Paperwork was filled out and just like that I had something to do three days a week.

However, between the priests' schedule and my schedule it took until today to get the show on the road. This morning after breakfast I put on nicer clothes and got in the car to drive 15 minutes to the South County location. I turned in the last of my paperwork to the admin, received a key and charge cards to the local grocery stores, and got a temporary login to the timekeeping system. I talked to the administrator, pastor, and associate priest.  I rummaged through the kitchen and discovered it was well stocked with equipment and made a list of cooking basics that would need to be purchased.

The parish hasn't had a cook for the past seven years, so everyone is making up the job requirements as we go along. However, I know that in addition to doing grocery shopping as needed I will be providing a hot meal for the priests on Monday night, a lunch for the priests and staff on Wednesday, and for all the clerical staff Sunday morning in between masses.

The nice thing is that I'm doing this for fun. The pay will be an extra bonus, but if I decide the cook gig isn't for me, all I have to do is let them know and walk away.

Five years ago: Figure Of Scrutiny

16 comments:

  1. That might be a really interesting gig, without a lot of time required. I can't wait to see what you decide to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that the priests prefer a more traditional meat and potatoes diet that I've been cooking the past few years, so I will have to remember how to do that.

      Delete
  2. Good for you Kathy! Keep us posted on how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nice thing about any job you take after you retire is, the only thing they can do to you is make you go be retired again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting. Sounds like a fun gig. Let us know what you cook and how they like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In addition to providing a job, this gig may also provide blog fodder.

      Delete
  5. Kathy, it is always a thrill to have a job you enjoy. I hope this works out for you. I am certain the recipients of your meals are in for a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! When you take a leap of faith, you do it big time! I wish you all the best with this new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating, can't wait to see how it goes for you, hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'm having a great time, and haven't even done any cooking yet :-)

      Delete
  8. Wow! That sounds great. Hope they're not fussy eaters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pastor has some allergies I'll have to work around, and the associate told me the two foods he doesn't care for.

      Delete