Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Plague Or Pollen?

Since I'm not leaving the house on a regular basis, I'm in a bit of a time warp. From the windows at the front of my condo all I can see is grass, evergreens, and some later-blooming bushes and trees. From that vantage point it certainly doesn't look like Spring.

However, the calendar says it's April. The past few days I've heard the birds chirping when I roll out of bed, and open the windows for a couple of hours in the warmest part of the afternoon. I took a walk through the neighborhood after lunch today and noticed that in the Bradford pear and redbud trees have started blooming. Several houses that I passed were having their lawns cut, and the smell of the fresh mown grass was delightful. I don't have any diagnosed allergies, but all of a sudden my nose was running from something, which caused a nasty case of postnasal drip, which started up a little hacking cough.

In a normal world no one would think twice about a little hacking cough. Today, however, the two people I passed on my way back home gave me an apprehensive look before they hustled away. I probably would have done the same thing.


Five years ago today: Male-Centric

8 comments:

  1. That's the part of spring that is not fun, the allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally have a cough because of my hyper-sensitivity to smells/odors. People pass wearing cologne or smoking and I go hack hack hack for hours. I sometimes wonder what our apartment neighbors think right now when they hear me do that lol (although most of them know about my problem anyway). Keep well Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I knew someone coughed all the time in the regular world, I wouldn't worry as much about them.

      Delete
  3. I feel embarrassed if I'm out and sneeze or cough and try to quell it, until my eyes run, but this time of year, I have allergies and there's no denying it. Plague or Pollen? Right now, its pollen got me sniffling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My allergy issues are mild enough that I usually try to go without medicating them. Not now, though! I'm popping that pill as soon as I think I will be going outside.

      Delete