Thursday, April 2, 2020

Take One, Leave One

I've always been a reader, but in the past few years instead of books I've substituted the daily newspaper (which we get virtually during the week and physically on Sunday), blogs, and internet forums.

After one week of sheltering in place I decided to spend less time on the computer, and picked up the book I had been working on for months. In three days I finished it and needed a new one. When we were packing boxes to move to the condo I purged my bookcases, keeping only the books that meant something to me. Now I can't find the box. (It's here somewhere, and based on experience I'll discover it when I stop looking so hard for it.)

My missing books aren't a problem, though. There are two public book exchanges within walking distance of my condo. The first one is at the end of the community by the pool. The other one is a little less than a mile away at the far entrance to the subdivision. BC-19 (Before COVID-19) I would sometimes stop and see what the exchanges had if I happened to be walking right by them. Now I walk to them specifically.

When I need a new book, I start by checking out the closer box. Then I stroll over to the other one to see what they have before I decide. Even though the boxes are close together, each has its own personality. One has a selection of hardcover books recently culled from the public library's stacks, and includes a large handful of thriller and action paperbacks. The other has more religious-themed, teen lit, and romance books.

Each time I return a book I rotate which box I put it in, to help cross pollinate the selection. So far I've chosen, read, and returned a couple of selections from Reese Witherspoon's Book Club. I'm in the middle of a road trip novel, and a compilation of short stories is waiting in the wings. Each time I've visited the boxes they have some turnover, so it will be interesting to see what's there next time.

14 comments:

  1. That is such a blessing to have not only one but two that are close by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have such a box. Actually a lovely painted dresser in the children's bus shelter. I've tried to upgrade from my personal collection, but have not noticed these to have been "borrowed". Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what happened when I would drop off books at the box by my old house.

      Delete
  3. Love Little Free Libraries!! We are so far out AND at the end of a dead end road that I can't do one but I sure visit them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know that to be considered a Little Free Library a book exchange has to adhere to certain standards? Neither of the ones I've been frequenting do.

      Delete
  4. I’ve heard some communities here are using the Free Library box to put in canned food for those who need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that, too. Also adding boxes specifically for food and other needed items.

      Delete
  5. I've seen these boxes around town, and it's an awesome idea. Just think - not only are you finding new books you might not have sought out, but you're also exposing other readers to something they might not have sought out either.

    Well, "exposing" probably isn't the best word choice. BC-19 COVID speak (brilliant introduction of this concept, by the way, my friend).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've picked up authors that were completely new to me, and enjoyed their works enough to seek them out again.

      And thank you for the nice compliment.

      Delete
  6. Love the BC-19. NIcely done. We have some of the boxes in my neighborhood, too. I keep meaning to check them out. Now I will. Thanks, Kathy

    ReplyDelete