Saturday, April 18, 2020

Entrées and Entertainment

For the past month, ever since Hubby Tony and I haven't been able to eat at a restaurant for our Saturday night dates we've gotten restaurant carry-out food for dinner. Each week it's been fun deciding which local places to support. Sometimes we dine fancy, and other times it's more casual. But it's always good.

The past week has been dreary and cold for this time of year (we even had to turn the furnace back on). Today was jacket weather, more like it should be for mid-April. At 4 pm the temperature was still 60 degrees. It seemed like a shame to eat yet another meal inside at the table, but since we don't have furniture for the deck yet, we had to come up with an alternate idea.

In previous weeks Tony's been the one in charge of the dinner procurement. Today we went together. I was driving, so Tony called the restaurant to order our food as we left the condo. He had some trouble getting through, and we were almost there by the time he was finished ordering and paying.  I parked in a spot close to the restaurant, and to kill the time until our meals would be ready we walked for 20 minutes. A couple of minutes after we returned an associate came out of the restaurant carrying our food in a bag. He handed it off to us and we left.

We didn't go far, though. Right across the street was an almost-empty parking lot next to the train station. I backed my SUV into a spot next to the tracks and put the back seats down to make a dining area. Just as we were settling in to eat a train went past. The colorful cars provided some nice entertainment to go along with our entrées. Twenty minutes later a second train went by. We sat in the back of the car and talked so long that we even saw a third train about 20 minutes after the second.

It was a great way to eat outside in the new era of Social Distancing.

15 comments:

  1. We are finding new ways to cope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to read that you are doing pick up for your meals. I have a fear of delivery, not knowing how long it took to get it to your house, or who did what to it while in transit.

    All of the Chinese restaurants have shut down here, don't know exactly why, but there is one nearby that we use for takeout and now we cannot. I can still get pizza takeout, though, but we've not done so in a few weeks. I'm doing lots of cooking, which is the usual routine here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to cooking dinner six nights a week, and making sure there's also food for breakfast and lunch in the house. Somehow, though, it feels like I'm working harder the past few weeks.

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's too bad. I just cook like I've always done. So far, we have an abundant supply of food. I would hate to have rationing. That would feel very punitive.

      Delete
    3. I AM cooking the same; it just feels different. I think because I don't have other activities to go along with the time in the kitchen.

      Delete
  3. Clever. Innovative. Creative. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been doing this, as well. Our local places say it's really making a difference for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The St. Louis area has a plethora of independent restaurants. If I had unlimited funds I'd order from a different one every night.

      Delete
  5. A little bit like dating in high school when you didn't have anywhere else to go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're completely right!

      Delete
  6. Tim and I call those car picnics. We used to do them awhile back sometimes before we hit Barnes. It was fun. Happy Earth Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Car picnic sounds like a great name for it!

      Delete