Thursday, April 23, 2020

Masking

The first few days of my social isolation were novel and exciting. The novelty quickly wore off. Now things have settled into a pretty regular rhythm, but that rhythm much different then it used to be.

Each morning I think about projects I could tackle, then I quickly discard those ideas. For example, the spare bedroom closet and downstairs storage area are filled with unopened boxes from our move. Many of the items will ultimately be donated to Goodwill...and with the donation center closed I can't see any reason to pull things out of the boxes.

However, the other day when I needed to replace a broken button on a shirt I stated rooting through those boxes looking for my button stash. I found it in the first box I opened. Right underneath the bag I saw some fabric scraps, and decided to use them to make masks for Hubby Tony and me. Not so much because we needed them; we rarely go anywhere which requires wearing a mask, and when we do we use a makeshift folded cloth napkin/elastic hair tie model. However, I figured the mask-making project would be a good way to take care of some of my excess free time.

The first step was to figure out just what type of mask to make. There was no elastic in the box, but I found several yards of white grosgrain ribbon that I could use to make ties. My Google search for 'Face mask with ties pattern' gave me thousands of results. I clicked through to a half-dozen sites and found a pattern with easy to follow directions. Since I was starting from scratch, including setting up the sewing machine and ironing board, it took me several hours to produce the two masks. Time well spent.

The scraps were from projects I had done at our old house. Not exactly in the same category as Scarlet O’Hara tearing down the curtains to make a dress in Gone With the Wind, but now every time I wear my floral mask I can remember the valances in the living and dining rooms. And when I see Tony in his plaid mask I will recall the seat cushions on the dining room chairs.


Five years ago today: Stats And Pageviews

19 comments:

  1. Cool branded on your days going into a pretty regular rhythm.

    Oh boy, unopened boxes from your move? Lemme at those suckers. What a great time to declutter. But that's a good point too, if the donation places are closed. I get that.

    I do the folded bandana with bands when I saw it I use one of my construction masks. Like you, I don't really have a need to make real masks. Tim has his for work though. He still goes out five days a week and also does the shopping.

    I love that you did the research and made masks! 😷 They look great. I love the ties. Hahaha on the ending of your post. You're funny. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's supposed to be cool beaners but I didn't catch the spell checker on the small screen.

      Delete
    2. If my crystal ball had been working I would have loaded up on materials for projects and been more aggressive in purging things. Oh, well.

      Delete
    3. I get that. But the cool thing is, you guys are making the most of things and still finding ways to have fun.

      Delete
  2. Great job on the masks, lucky you can sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, occasionally my junior high school Home Ec classes come in handy.

      Delete
  3. Clever. I'm now regretting old clothes too tattered to donate, so I threw away and now wish I hadn't because could have turned into masks … like the wonder woman and camo leggings. I'll never throw anything away again. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, camo and Wonder Woman masks would have been AWESOME!

      Delete
  4. My son and I stripped and resealed the back deck last week and I needed to wear an old shirt. I dug through one of the "on hold" goodwill bags and pulled out a t-shirt. It was surprisingly comfortable. Long story short - I'm keeping it and its twin. Your masks are brilliant, btw. I'm sewing challenged and so I really admire your gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been known to dig through the donation bag myself!

      Delete
  5. Well done. I'm glad it was in the top box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, I just bought a few from China, the boring blue surgical ones and one plain black one with a star on it. I read that to make the masks even safer you can fold up some kitchen roll and put it inside to create another layer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about ways to make the masks more efficient, too. However, I have a hard time breathing through it with just the fabric and have no desire to add additional layers.

      Delete
  7. Staying at home provides plenty of opportunities to do all the jobs that have not been done over the years. Either that, or watching TV with a Guinness and a pizza. I choose the latter.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I'm productive. Some days I just space out.

      Delete
  8. Amazing what you find when you start rummaging! Good for you! Whow would have thought that masks would become a necessity? They are compulsory here - I've used mine once but doubt that it will be used again any time again soon. Given my experience of last week which you know about, I have no intention of leaving home for a while!! I know some people who are making them from old tee shirts! Not only Scarlett O'Hara! Maria tearing the curtains down in The Sound of Music!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hardest part for me was experimenting to see which mask pattern I wanted to make. Then I had to adjust the pattern to make sure more of the face was covered. Now I’m waiting for elastic to show up from China that I ordered on Amazon. It’s taking a month or more. Aggravation. I shall have to look for a project to do around the house too. Good job on your mask making project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at the store yesterday and some masks I saw looked beautiful. If we're going to be stuck wearing them for the long term I will have to look into them.

      Delete