Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Social Distancing Voting

Recently Hubby Tony and I got an envelope from the County Board of Election Commissioners. Inside each envelope was a cover letter and three sheets of colored paper.

The letter started by explaining that the April General Municipal election had been rescheduled to June. It went on to say that they recognized that because of our age (I'm still having trouble believing that I'm in the 'old' category) we are more at risk for severe reactions from COVID-19, and invited us to fill out a request for an absentee ballot. That request was the blue sheet. Not only did they invite us to vote absentee in June, but they also included applications for the August Primary election (pink) and even the November General Election (yellow)!

In Missouri you have to give a reason for wanting to skip the trip to the polls, so this out-of-the-blue correspondence was a big deal. There are only six allowable excuses. The closest to the current situation seemed to be "Incapacity or confinement due to illness or physical disability, including caring for a person who is incapacitated or confined due to illness or disability".  That's also the only one that waives the requirement for notarization.

I have no idea what the state of the world will be next week, let alone more than six months from now, but both Tony and I filled out our applications and put them out in the mail for pick up. The good news is that even if I get an absentee ballot in the mail I can still change my mind and vote in person.

Five years ago today: Busy, Busy, Busy

17 comments:

  1. Interesting times. You have to do the best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's neat that you can still go in person and change your vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the website said the best thing would be to take the blank absentee ballot and give it to the poll worker so they can distroy it.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully things sort out so you can vote in person but preplanning is a good idea so that you don't have to go in if you can't. Smart for them to send it out all in one packet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a good idea on their part, too.

      Delete
  4. I have voted by absentee ballot for decades. It was just too hard to get to the polls when I was teaching. I left home before the polls opened and I was too exhausted at the end of the day to stop so a mail-in ballot made all the sense in the world. It's been so easy, even while we were in San Francisco, I could still vote. There was never any question as to why one wanted a mail-in ballot.

    Jumping ahead to now, California is trying to become a vote-by-mail state, making it easy for everyone to cast their ballot. Fresno County did this in the last election and so many more voted due to the ease. I would like to see vote-by-mail become the norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my state is behind the times with how difficult they make it to vote. It will be interesting how the states handle the next few elections, while we're all hunkered down.

      Delete
  5. We didn't get a choice...had to be absent ballot. SAD! I love going to the polls and talking with everyone! Plus, getting a sticker is the best reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only gone to the polls once at my new residence (and didn't know anyone there), but at the old house I would often run into neighbors and catch up.

      Delete
  6. We've had statewide vote by mail here for a long time. I miss the trips to the polls and the little "I Voted" sticker. Now its hard to even remember when the actual election date is. It's nothing special with vote by mail. Glad you got the option, but don't have to do the absentee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about how voting at my convenience would take the specialness away.

      Delete
  7. Good for Missouri, though it's a teeny bit big brothering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out that the decision to proactively offer absentee ballots is up to each county. I guess we got lucky.

      Delete
  8. I forgot about the voting thing. Thank you for the reminder. My mother got hers, but we still haven’t received ours. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete