Saturday, March 21, 2020

Order Out - Eat In

For years Hubby Tony and I have a Date Night on Saturday. Now that there's just the two of us we often go to church, or schedule some other type of activity, but we always go out for some type of dinner. However, for social distancing purposes all restaurants are now closed except for carry-out business, so eating out is impossible to do.

I enjoy the break from cooking on Saturday night. We talked about where we wanted to get carry out, and decided on the Circa Pub and Grill, which specializes in classic St. Louis dishes. Part of the fun of going there is looking at the local memorabilia they have displayed on the walls, but that would have to wait until the next trip.

After looking at the menu Tony chose a pork steak dinner with sweet potato fries. I picked lasagna and a side of green beans. Both meals came with salad. The menu offered many options for salad dressing, but in my mind there was only one choice-the Mayfair.

From the restaurant website:
Our house (Mayfair) dressing is made with egg, celery, onion, and garlic, with an anchovy base. It was originally developed in 1935 at the Mayfair Hotel in downtown St. Louis. It was first served in the hotel's Mayfair Room, Missouri's first five-star restaurant.
Tony called in the order and went to pick it up. Before he left he changed into a business casual outfit, and I followed suit. I decided that even though we had to eat at home it could still be an event, so while Tony was gone I set the table with linens, china, glasses, and real silverware. I put battery-operated votive candles into holders and set them on the table.

When Tony returned with the food we put the salad into bowls. I tried to slide my lasagna onto the nice plate, but the piece was covered in a thick layer of sauce and two big blobs of the sauce dropped onto the tablecloth. Tony had better luck plating up his food. In the end we ended up sharing our meals half-and-half. Everything was tasty, and except for the lack of a waiter to bus the table I felt like I was at an actual restaurant.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds nice except for the tablecloth spill! I read that the restaurants will have a hard time staying open on just takeout business unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The threw the tablecloth into the washer pretty quickly, and fortunately the sauce didn't stain. I'm trying to decide what the sweet spot is between being a good steward of my budget and supporting local restaurants by ordering their food.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea, Kathy. That sounds so romantic and fun.
    I’m sorry you got hit by that terrible spam above. Christine got it too. And I’m sure I’ll be hit too. So annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAH! Spam is always annoying, but that one's the worst.

      Delete
  3. Best wishes. Praying for you all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Things will go better if we pray for each other.

      Delete
  4. We'll probably be the better part of summer, getting over this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are too cute. I love that you did what works for you guys, even though you couldn't go out. For us, we eat in our weekend sweatshirts. We have two and they are over-sized and comfy and falling apart but we love, weekend sweatshirt, pizza, movie, couch ... ah. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that if we have to miss our Saturday night dates for an extended period of time we won't make such a big deal out of it. Or maybe we will. It will be revealed.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea for take out, with the linen and plating the food, even candles. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh... hadn't heard of this one. The menu sounds like my recipe box. Just had lasagne and the Chicken Modiga is going to come up in this week's cooking. I am drooling!

    ReplyDelete