Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Try (A Quote For The New Year)

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.” (Neil Gaiman)



Five years ago today: The Sixth Day of Christmas

13 comments:

  1. Happy 2015 - Hope it's all you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I knew nothing about all the changes coming in 2014, my word at the beginning of the year would have been OPEN. Open to whatever might come. At the end of 2014, I now know the word for the year was CHANGE. Funny how I often don't know the word until the year is over!

    That said, my word right now is JOY. To be JOYFUL in all that I do and wherever I go.

    May you have a JOYFUL year in all that you TRY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Delaine. I had actually chosen a different word for 2015, but maybe 'try' is subconsciously what I had in mind. Or maybe I'll have two. We'll see.

      Delete
  3. Great advice, and challenge for 2015! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. new mistakes..yes! old mistakes...no! haha. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell people that I make a lot of mistakes, but hopefully never the same one twice.

      Delete
  5. Hello Kathy, greeting and best wishes for the new year.

    Wonderful thoughts. We all shudder to make mistakes. We want to do everything right at the first time. In the end we do nothing and go back to the old ways. This means we don't develop and grow at all. It is better to make mistakes rather than make no mistakes at all without trying. Amazing thoughts.

    Wish you and your family a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a bad idea! I've always been terrified of making mistakes, which hampers me a lot - even down to hobby kits and equipment which I buy and then don't use because I'm afraid of mucking it up.

    But, a few years ago I did decide to learn Italian and I'm still learning - I didn't give up! Apparently I'm doing very well, but I'm not just learning the Italian language in the process. The Italians say 'Non si può imparare senza sbagliare' which means 'you can't learn without making mistakes'.

    It's particularly true of languages because you cannot learn one properly without speaking it, and part of that is making mistakes and being corrected - not only in the choice of words and sentence construction, but in pronunciation. If you don't get over that, you can't learn past a certain point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning a new language! WHAT an adventurous undertaking. I admire your 'can do' attitude.

      Delete