Friday, December 19, 2014

Insomnolence

Last night Hubby Tony and I treated ourselves to a great night out.  We went to a local steak restaurant, where we ordered it all....drinks, appetizer, entrees, and dessert.

When we got home, I had some work to complete on the computer.  Tony watched part of the TV news, then went to bed.  It took me another 30 minutes to do my necessary work, then I spent another 20 minutes checking my email and Facebook.  By now it was seriously past my bedtime but I didn't feel particularly tired.  I went upstairs, changed into my nightclothes, washed my face, brushed my teeth, and settled into bed.  I tossed and turned, and tossed again.  Pepper the cat jumped up on the bed and tried to cuddle with me, but I was squirming too much for his tastes and he went to lay down by Tony's feet.

After 30 minutes of laying there wide awake it hit me...I bet our waitress had made a mistake and served me regular coffee with my dessert instead of the decaf I'd asked for.

I enviously listened to Tony's even breathing. He wasn't showing any caffeine side effects. I tried listening to the radio, counting sheep, and visualizing peaceful things. Nothing helped. Eventually (almost ninety minutes later) the caffeine wore off and I drifted off to sleep. However, the sleep was fitful, and I was full of crazy dreams all night.

When the alarm went off this morning I was tempted to turn it off and go back to sleep. However, I had somewhere I needed to be so I reluctantly rolled out of bed. A hot shower didn't wake me up, nor did a morning cup of coffee. I spent the day in a fog. Finally I gave in mid-afternoon and settled down for a nap, setting an alarm so I wouldn't sleep too long. The nap helped for a while, but after dinner I found myself nodding off when I sat on the couch.

I'm really looking forward to bedtime.  There will be some serious sleep-catching-up done tonight.

15 comments:

  1. good one, the video, lol. Gosh I know what a sleepless night can be like, although I think I'm ok with caffeine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually cut myself off from coffee by 4:00 and have no problems

      Delete
  2. There's nothing like missing a night's sleep to make for a good one the next night--if you make it that long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's happened to me before! :(

    LOVED the video...gosh, I really need to watch some Seinfeld reruns. They are THE best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be you could always find a Seinfeld rerun. I haven't looked for a while, though, so I don't know if that's still true.

      Delete
  4. We went to a Christmas party Thursday evening. Lots of good Italian food. When the waitress asked about coffee, Terry was the only one at our table of ten who asked for regular coffee. The others, who wanted coffee, all wanted decaf. I don't drink restaurant coffee so abstained. I had a big cup of tea earlier in the afternoon so as to stay awake for this party.

    We went home, got ready for bed, and both fell asleep almost immediately. We both slept soundly all night. I can drink espresso and go right to sleep, so coffee is no problem at the Zodys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being close friends with Insomnia, I know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is pretty much how I feel most days. I'm exhausted when I go to bed, and wake up just as exhausted most days. I had a fever for the last 2 days though, and got lots of rest. Thankfully, I'm feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're feeling better. I hope you can catch up on sleep over the semester break.

      Delete
  7. I hate insomnia. It's terrible when I wake up at night and can't get back to sleep. I do try to always get an afternoon nap in though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to keep going in the afternoon...often when I nap I lose my momentum for the rest of the day!

      Delete
  8. Hope the sleep goes better for you tonight.

    ReplyDelete