Monday, December 15, 2014

Christmas Tree Crudités


Last week I was invited to three holiday potlucks (a Tuesday night snack event, a Thursday night dinner, and a Friday brunch).  On Sunday I decided I would bring a vegetable platter as my contribution for the first party.  When I went to sleep that night the topic must have been on my mind, because I woke up the next morning thinking about how broccoli florets in the shape of a Christmas tree would be cute. 

I hadn't been reading or watching anything about food or crafting, so I'm not sure where the idea came from.  Sometimes my mind works in mysterious ways. 

The project ended up being easy.  I had to look in a few thrift stores for just the right tray, but at the third stop I found what I was looking for.  The shape is filled with broccoli accented with yellow and orange pepper strips, mushroom pieces, radish wedges, and small grape tomatoes.  I served the vegetables with chipotle ranch dressing on the side.

Thursday we had been instructed to bring a dessert, but because the 'tree' was so well received the first time I repeated it again on Friday.   I don't think I have any more pot luck events this month, but can you guess what I'm taking if I do?

Five years ago today: The Third Time's The Charm

9 comments:

  1. Very nice! I like the idea of fruit or veggies at holiday pot lucks to balance out all the over-indulging foods that will be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, depending on the crowd there may be several dishes of fruits and vegetables....or only one!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE it! It looks like a colorfully decorated Christmas tree. Very well done and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. I applaud your effort to get just the right tray,too. You sure did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a snowman dish that I filled with candied pecans, salted caramels, nut bread and those haystacks to take to Bible study. It was a big hit.

    ReplyDelete