Saturday, March 9, 2024

Thermic

Today was one of the four yearly business meetings of a fellowship I belong to.

In this fellowship, terms are three years long, and 2024 is the second year of this one. The first March meeting of each term is hybrid, with some people choosing to attend in person and some virtually. The other two March meetings are online-only.

In-person meetings are held close to the center of the state, which means for me it would be a two to three hour commute each way. I was excited to be able to skip the commute and Zoom in. However, the forecast called for brisk temperatures and that's a problem. In chilly weather my office is cold and I was going to have to sit in it for hours. I wasn't looking forward to shivering all day, so I reached out to my local Buy Nothing group to see if I could borrow a space heater for the day. Yesterday I picked this up:

When I got home I realized that the person was nice enough to label the buttons to make it easy for me to operate:


I placed the heater so the warm air blew straight towards me. That made my back warm, but my toes were still cold. After the lunch break I also wrapped a blanket around my feet, which helped.

I was so grateful for the the loan that when I returned the heater I included a little thank you chocolate shamrock:
Five years ago today: Ha-Ha

14 comments:

  1. That's nice of you -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like hand and foot warmers for such times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have one similar to this Amazon heater. Not all of these types have tip over protection but this one does. https://www.amazon.com/Joy-Pebble-Radiator-Portable-Protection/dp/B0C861NZTY/ref=pd_ci_mcx_mh_deals_m1_3?pd_rd_w=a30aI&content-id=amzn1.sym.a4bf4030-ae86-4605-8edc-9bedc436f2a3&pf_rd_p=a4bf4030-ae86-4605-8edc-9bedc436f2a3&pf_rd_r=73Y8FWVYXM8KDNCE6ZW7&pd_rd_wg=TU280&pd_rd_r=0ceefd6f-e181-4f32-a685-aee9ded6406f&pd_rd_i=B0C861NZTY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'll make a note to get a space heater and have it available for next year's cold. Wanna make bets on if I remember or not?

      Delete
    2. Remember to think about cold weather stuff once it's warm enough to open up the windows :-)

      Delete
  4. How nice of the owner to label the buttons for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you work daily from your office if it's that cold on the other days you don't borrow a space heater? I admit I'd rather be cold than hot. But you didn't make this sound lovely either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. In cold weather I normally bundle up with a fleece jacket and a scarf around my neck, but I had to give a report and thought that would look tacky onscreen :-)

      Also, I rarely spend more than 20 minutes at a time using the desktop computer in the office, but during COVID, for privacy's sake I got used to setting up the laptop on the desk in there and now it doesn't feel right to do anything else.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea to borrow one! Sorry you weren't very warm, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'm sitting at my desk in the cold office bundled up in my fleece/scarf around the neck combo I just realized that Saturday was a lot warmer than now :-)

      Delete
  7. I'd never heard of Buy Nothing. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I've gotten rid of a lot of things, but also taken advantage of receiving. And after this weekend, borrowing.

      Delete