Monday, March 18, 2024

One Bowl, Three Meals

 This morning I decided to have steel cut oatmeal for breakfast. I added one serving of dry oatmeal and water to a six-cup Pyrex bowl and put it in the microwave. This bowl is tall enough that the oatmeal doesn't boil over (because the last thing I want to do before coffee is clean up a gunky mess from the turntable).

As I was eating I realized that the croupy cough I've had for a couple of days was much worse, my body felt like it had been run over by a big truck, and I should probably cancel my plans for the day and stay home.

I spent the morning napping on the couch, reading, and drinking hot tea with honey and lemon. At lunchtime I cut raw veggies and a mushroom into pieces, dumped them into the Pyrex bowl, then added a handful of spinach, water, and a spoonful of Tom Yum powder and microwaved . The spicy soup tasted great and as a bonus cleared up my nasal passages.

At this point I was feeling a little bit better, so I took the car to Sam's Club for gas and stopped by the grocery store for another jar of honey (masking up before I went in). I puttered away the rest of the afternoon with more reading and mindless social media scrolling.

Hubby Tony had a dinner meeting so I was on my own for dinner. I put together a dribs and drabs main dish salad with a serving of rice, leftover pork steak, red and yellow pepper pieces, caramelized onions, and chopped romaine lettuce. Everything went in the trusty Pyrex bowl, because why not?

22 comments:

  1. There’s a lot of cold/flus going around right now. I’m glad things are getting better for you. My sister in law says she feels better but is having a hard time getting rid of the cough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! This was me, Kay of Musings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually a virus leads to a nagging cough for me-long after all the other symptoms are gone.

      Delete
  3. I love steel cut oatmeal. Feel better soon Kathy.-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, but it takes twice as long to cook as Old Fashioned!

      Delete
  4. "mindless social media scrolling"
    You mean searching for post material.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a trusty bowl, good for everything! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It appears you can survive on a minimal amount of cookware!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Tony and I had been eating dinner together I would have used proper dishes, but I have much lower standards when it is just me.

      Delete
  7. Praying for your good health.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have that exact Pyrex bowl. I have never tried to make oatmeal in it though. You certainly made good use of it that day! Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bowl is the perfect size to cook one serving of oatmeal. I've watched it boil almost up to the top, but it never spews out.

      Delete
  9. We HAD exactly that Pyrex bowl. It is now missing. We looked everywhere. Can't find it. Either of you, Kathy or Jeanette have any idea where it might be?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cough has been going around. It's smart to take of yourself so it doesn't get worse. Free better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've said it before: you have such good food. Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hope you get better soon Kathy!
    flu and cough is common when season on the edge of change here
    worst about cough that it rises during night times , try warm water gargles boiled with little salt to it .it helps and calms enough to go to sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that illness symptoms always get worse at night.

      Delete