Monday, March 11, 2024

Scams And Spams

I received an email from an acquaintance that contained an e-vite for a party
The body of the message told me that I should click on the invitation to see more details and RSVP. I did as directed, and ended up at a website with a blurred background image behind a box that asked me to log in with my email address. Warning alarms started to go off in my brain, and I quickly closed the page.

I asked the sender to provide more details:

Before I open the invitation you sent me can you give me a heads up as to the content? Sorry to say there have been so many scams and spams I've turned leery of things I don't know:-(

The person isn't big on email, and I wasn't surprised when I never got a response, so I Googled the name of the e-vite company. On their website I learned that legitimate messages from them would come straight from their domain name (instead of someone in my contact list) and would never contain an attachment. My instincts were right!

I forwarded the spam message to the company, marked it as phishing and deleted it, then changed my email password.

Five years ago today: There's A Day For Everything!

16 comments:

  1. How scary! I'm usually the one who warns family and friends about scams -- yet I fell for one on FB just this morning. It was a cute cartoon, but when I double clicked to show the whole thing, my screen froze. Wh n I went back again and read comments I saw where others said it was malicious. What a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Web is a very dangerous place! One had better develop a sixth sense about scams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the 'sixth sense' being vital.

      Delete
  3. I got one from someone pretending to be Amazon yesterday. It was a little more obvious than your message. I looked up Amazons spam email URL and shipped it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot of this around lately. I tend to think I know a scam when I see one, but every once in awhile I click too soon and realize I shouldn't have done it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scammers must work overtime figuring out ways to trick people.

      Delete
  5. They're so good at what they do and so tricky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they took all that enthusiasm and used it for legitimate projects?

      Delete
  6. Scary -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have to be so careful these days! Scammers are everywhere!

    ReplyDelete