Friday, March 1, 2024

Mid-Winter Break Adventure-Part 3

Back in 2020 Hubby Tony and I had started planning a trip to Hawaii for our 40th anniversary, but COVID put the kibash on our plans. Since then our vacations have been fun but not milestone-worthy. When we found out DIL Nicole, a first-class bargain hunter, had snagged a deal at the Disney Aulani resort on Oahu and asked us to go with their family we were all in! 

Wikimedia

 Son Brian, Nicole, and their family had a suite big enough for five. Tony and I had a conventional hotel room several floors above and joined them for meals in their suite and most activities.

Flying to Oahu was interesting. We took Southwest, which doesn’t have assigned seats. It was a production to get seats for seven people close to each other, but some of the boarding numbers were in the A group and the rest of the family came on during the Family Boarding a dozen passengers later.

 Our group was going to be at the resort for five days. Having never been to the area before I reached out to the only person I know who lives there, Kay of Musings. She sent me a link to her post about things to do, but in the end I only left the resort twice. Once was a trip to Target with Nicole for provisions and the other was to the Dole Plantation, where we took a train ride, navigated their maze (which was certified by Guinness World Records as the World's Largest in 2008), and had some of their famous Dole Whip.

As you would imagine, the resort had a multitude of ways to get wet. We spent one morning at the beach, but the boys liked the lazy river even more. When I navigated it with energetic Grandson Jay I found out there was nothing lazy about the experience!

The Disney fingerprint was visible, but low key. Our hotel room had towels arranged like "Mickey" ears. All seven of us went to a Disney character breakfast, and every day there were characters walking around the pool area. The shave ice had the option of Mickey ears on top of the mound of snowcone-like ice.

It amazed me how fast the five days went, and soon it was time to pack up and leave. The rest of the family was headed back home but Tony and I had one more jaunt planned.

To be continued (one more time).......

17 comments:

  1. So cool! I was in Oahu once a few years ago visiting a family friend who lives in Honolulu. We drove past the Disney resort and she pointed it out to us -- that's the closest I've been to where you had your vacation, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful area. I'm a little bummed I didn't get to see more of it.

      Delete
  2. Hawaii! How fabulous Kathy!! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been to Oahu twice. I can't believe you didn't go to the top of the volcano. The first time we were there was in the month of November. There was snow at the top and I got to throw snowballs in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be a next time for Oahu, and I will do more activities there.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous is me, Mike. Blogger has logged me out and won't let me log back in. Isn't blogger fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine how fast those five days whoooshed past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Long time no hear from :-)

      The week flew by.

      Delete
  6. It's a lot of fun to travel with kids and grandkids. I'm glad you got to make your trip and all went well. The sister of a friend traveled to Cabo San Lucas over New Years and ended up breaking her ankle, only to rebreak it in her condo's bathroom before she flew back to southern California. By then it required major surgery. My friend has been making trips to Southern California to help her sister while she heals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the second person you know who broke an ankle, right? Getting old is scary stuff.

      Delete
    2. Actually the third. Our daughter's mother in law back in September, then your Tony, and then Viola.

      Delete
  7. Hawaii sounds awesome! Never been, but have booked a cruise that makes two stops in Hawaii and can't wait. You have had some great trips this last month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some friends from church went on a Hawaii cruse and spoke highly of it.

      Delete
  8. Wow! The Aulani is very fancy and offers a lot. My kids love to go to the Dole Plantation, but to be honest, we've never been in the maze. I hope there were no mosquitoes. The Dole Whip is good though. I hope you got to try shave ice somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of going through a maze freaked me out a little bit, but the ticket had a map on it with stations to find. The mature bushes had lost branches at the bottom, and Grandson Jay was short enough to be able to see the stations through them.

      Although I brought bug spray we didn't run into any mosquitos (thank goodness).

      We got shave ice at the resort and at a random location in Kona next to a grocery store.

      Delete
  9. Awe ❤
    What a joy to find good deal for trip Kathy 😍
    Disney resort sounds fun
    Having whole family in picnic is satisfactory!
    When visit after long time few days don't feel enough for vacation :)
    I am happy you had blissful times out with family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'm sure you understand, since two of the boys and their families live a long plane ride away I treasure the time I have with them.

      Delete