Saturday, September 23, 2023

There Wasn't Much Autumn Today

The Autumnal Equinox happened in my area at 1:50 am this morning.  Now the days will get shorter, and the temperatures will drop, so it's time to enjoy the outside before the weather goes downhill. 

My first activity this morning was a cycling class at the gym. I came home and showered, then realized it wasn't exactly fall weather yet and a sleeveless tank top and shorts would be more comfortable than a long-sleeved shirt and jeans. Thank goodness I had procrastinated putting the summer clothes away.

Hubby Tony and I ate lunch on the deck. I noticed the huge maple tree outside the front door was already sporting a few colored leaves.

The small downtown area of our city was having an Autumn Outdoor Fest. Their advertising promised music, store sidewalk sales, and activities at the Farmer's Market. After lunch we fed Jackson the Cat and left.

Our first stop was at the bank just north of the downtown area, where I used the ATM. We browsed in the outdoor shop right next door, but when we came out we realized that because of construction the sidewalk going south was closed. We had to double back and walk around the block. There was a nice breeze blowing, but the sun was high in the sky. There were quite a few trees to provide shade, but by the time we made it around the block I was sweaty and wished I had done a better job of sunscreening my exposed skin. 

We walked down the east side of the downtown main street and stopped to listen to some music at a pocket park. Unfortunately, the singer's set was over five minutes after we arrived and the next one wasn't going to start for another 30 minutes, so we continued south to the Farmer's Market. There were some great-looking children's activities there, but we didn't have any children with us. I got myself a locally grown apple (which turned out to be excellent) and Tony picked out a huge plum (which he said was ripe and juicy). We sat in the shade and rested a few minutes, then crossed the road and walked north. I was disappointed in the number of stores that were participating in the sidewalk sale, but we popped into a couple to see what they had and take advantage of their air conditioning.

At this point Tony and I agreed it was too hot and we should just go home. Our last stop before heading back to the car was at a cafe to get coffee to go. I was tempted to order something fall-flavored, but decided to wait until it was actually appropriate to do so.

Five years ago today: No More Stains

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The only non-hot coffee this place offered was nitro cold brew, and I am NOT a fan.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the warm weather while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but I prefer 'warm' ten degrees cooler.

      Delete
  3. I knew the weather would be quite different in the mountains and I am happy to find it to be more moderate than Missouri. Cooler mornings and evenings are always welcome. I can get a whole lot more outdoor work done. I have making my own iced coffee of late. I make coffee and then freeze some in ice cube trays. It nevers gets watered down. I like it a little too much and have to be careful so I can sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we ever had leftover coffee I would make cubes.

      Delete
  4. Happy Fall!! I am enjoying the break from the hotter weather. We are still hitting the 70s but it is getting down to the 40s in the morning. Not a lot of leaves falling yet but it will not be too long. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you! At this time of year our average high temperature should be about 78 degrees. Yesterday it was 10 degrees higher than that.

      Delete
  5. Autumn hit here by delivering a downpour that is to last a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Mornings are feeling like Fall with it being in the 70s, but, by Mid-Afternoon it's still triple digits. That 30+ degree spread makes figuring out wardrobe tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when Oldest Son lived in Phoenix we visited him over the Columbus Day weekend and the weather was just starting to break.

      Delete