Monday, September 18, 2023

Chickens Eating Chicken

Last week my COVID symptoms kept me from doing my cooking shifts at the church. Today I put on my mask and showed up.

I decided to made an easy dinner of grocery store deli fried chicken, potato salad, and sliced tomato.  My shopping list also included milk and bread for the pastor and a package of bacon requested by the associate priest.

At the rectory I said hello to the parish office staff and headed back to the kitchen. After putting the perishables away and doing a few dishes left in the sink I put the bacon in the oven to bake. While it was cooking I took a good look in the refrigerator and realized that no one had eaten leftovers since I had last been there.

The remains from a chicken fajita lunch were now more than a week old. Time for them to go. I wondered if it would be strange to feed them to the chickens? They're omnivores, which means they eat just about anything, but it seemed weird. After thinking about it for a couple minutes, though, I decided to give it a try. 

I know from experience these chickens aren't fans of onions so I sent the vegetables down the garbage disposal, then rinsed the chicken to remove the taco seasoning and cut the strips into small pieces. When the bacon was done I grabbed the bowl of chicken and headed across the parking lot to the coop, where all three hens were out in the run. 

I opened the door and they scattered, but after I tossed the pieces of meat down and walked out they quickly returned. I've never seen them enjoy a snack as much as today's. They were actually squawking at each other as they competed over the morsels. It was so much fun to watch!

rawpixel
Five years ago: Go Away, Already!

26 comments:

  1. That's a little bit twisted, but Halloween is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didnt know they were omnivores but..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It originally surprised me, too, but then I remembered that free-range chickens like to find and eat bugs.

      Delete
  3. ??? You'll be feeding them eggs next ...

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Google tells me that wouldn't be a problem, nor would drying, crushing, and offering egg shells for extra calcium.

      Delete
  4. Chickens will eat anything. If the onions had been cooked, they'd have even eaten them. I grew up around chickens and have had many around myself. When cows are fed corn, a lot of the corn goes through them undigested. Chickens will happily eat that corn out of the poop. Pigs are another animal that will eat recycled corn..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These hens are quite spoiled, perhaps because they have quite a few people giving them treats, but now I want to have some leftover cooked onions to see what they'd do.

      Delete
  5. I grew up with chickens. My grandmother did not compost, probably had no idea what composting was. She did keep a pail on her kitchen counter and that's where all the scraps of cooking went. She would dump the pail daily in the chicken yard. She didn't know she was recycling and composting in a very basic sense! People always assume that pigs are nasty because they will eat just about anything, but chickens have them beat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that I never heard about composting as an activity when I was growing up.

      Delete
  6. That was smart dear Kathy
    I grew up seeing my mom to do such adjustments for her chickens. I in the memory of my sweet kind mom try to make scrums out of traditional bread but have less birds visit during summer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you made the most of what yo could salvage of the leftovers, and I'm very glad you're feeling well enough to be starting back on your regular routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm thrilled to be feeling healthy again.

      Delete
  8. Good you are on the mend! That is an interesting notion, omnivores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my understanding that free range chickens eat plants, bugs, and anything else that they come upon.

      Delete
  9. Now I'm not sure I want to eat any chicken...Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. That just sounds so wrong. Note to self: Do not get on a plane with Kathy in case it crashes on a remote mountain top and she starts looking around for something to eat. I've seen that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never thought you could feed chicken meat to a chicken, but I just had to look it up and sure enough, it's a good source of protein for them. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how we all learn from each other on the internet.

      Delete