Saturday, September 16, 2023

Isolated No More!

Because I was with someone who tested positive for COVID on Monday, the next day I turned to the Centers for Disease Control and Protection for reliable advice. Their page What to Do if You Were Exposed to COVID-19 had a handy Isolation and Exposure calculator. I told the calculator I had been exposed to the virus, had not had a confirmed case of COVID within the past 90 days, and the date I was exposed. The calculator told me that I didn't need to stay home unless I developed symptoms.

On Wednesday, two days after exposure, I woke up with a scratchy throat, a headache, and a general 'off' feeling and changed my weekend plans. Over the course of that day my nose started running, I developed a cough, my body ached, and I couldn't stay awake for more than a couple of hours at a time.

But each day since then got a little better. Today was my fifth day of isolation, and according to the guidelines that meant it was testing day. I was completely symptom free, and it was satisfying to have the test come out negative, meaning I could be out in public places as long as I wear a mask indoors for another five days.

It felt strange, but good to be out. I went to a couple of grocery stores with Hubby Tony. Later in the afternoon we went to Mass, where we sat in the social distancing, masks required section. On the way home I popped into Costco, then drove across the street to a restaurant and got a gyro salad to go.

I suspect the time will go quickly and it won't be long until I'll be putting on a mask by choice instead of by obligation.

16 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are recovering, and so good to get the negative test result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to not see the extra line on the test.

      Delete
  2. So most of the masked people I'm seeing these days are Covid recoveries. This is probably going to be a regular occurrence … forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're either recovering or being proactive so they don't have to recover.

      Delete
  3. thanks for sharing all this valuable information. It is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. When I did my research I knew most of it, but it was nice to have it all in one place.

      Delete
  4. Glad Tony didn't get it and that you are better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, thanks for this info. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you are covid free! Folks around here still do not take this seriously, so it is just as well that we don't get out much! The Patient is bad enough with his moaning and groaning in pain due to his own decision to be lazy and not walk on that leg, I can't imagine how bad he would be with covid on top of that! Or, maybe I CAN imagine. Like a nightmare come true!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that even in the worst of it, you didn't have to travel far outside the metropolitan area to find people who looked at you like you had two heads if you had a mask on. Probably still the same way today.

      Delete
    2. We see lots of masked people here and think nothing of it. I was wearing a mask when we went to the pharmacy and/or medical offices, but have stopped doing so unless requested. We are currently waiting to get our SEVENTH Covid vaccine and our yearly flu shot. I'm back with almost 200 children every week so figure my immunities are building back pretty quickly.

      Delete
  7. Glad you are better. Good to go for reliable advice, too. I am hoping we don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes that's better than any medicine.

      Delete
  9. Kay of Musings: I’m so glad you got a less severe case (of maybe COVID?). I wear my mask everywhere but so few people do. However, I do hear of more and more people I know or somebody they know who got COVID recently. This is in addition to my husband recently.

    ReplyDelete