Monday, September 25, 2023

Italian Oven Baked Turnover

Last week the Associate priest asked me if they could have calzone for dinner tonight. I've never made the dish before, but I knew enough about it to know that I could figure out the procedure and agreed. The finished meal was well-received,, and I also learned a lot along the way.

My original understanding was that a calzone was a folded in half pizza with the edges pinched together. However, the first thing I learned was that a calzone does not have any sauce inside. Instead, marinara is served on the side for dipping. The second thing I learned was that traditional calzones have to have ricotta cheese (along with mozzarella) as part of the filling. The third thing I learned that a calzone was a first cousin to a stromboli, a type of savory turnover that is rolled like a burrito and cut into spiral slices. A stromboli usually has sauce inside and only has mozzarella cheese.

Once I figured out what I was making I found a recipe and made a shopping list. On the way to the church today I stopped by the grocery store for ingredients. Because I was also doing some precooking for Wednesday's staff lunch I took the easy way out and bought a pizza crust from the dairy case. (That rectangular crust didn't easily lend itself to circular pieces so my calzones were square instead of moon shaped. Neither priest complained.)

I divided the large pizza dough rectangle into eight pieces, quartered pepperoni slices and microwaved them to get rid of some of the grease, and sauteed colored pepper strips. 

When it was assembly time I put a spoonful of ricotta on each rectangle, added pepperoni, peppers, and shredded mozzarella. Next I folded the dough over the ingredients, pressed the edges together, then went back over the edges again with a fork to crimp them well. Right before baking I cut a slit on the top of each calzone so the steam could release during baking. 

I put the tray of calzones in the oven and set the timer. Halfway through I looked in the oven and noticed the calzones puffing up nicely. A couple of them were rocking gently back and forth as the steam came out of the top vent. 

In addition to the calzone and marinara sauce, dinner included a salad with Imo's Pizza sweet Italian dressing. I made enough calzone for two meals, and I'm pretty sure they'll be gone by my next cooking shift on Wednesday.

21 comments:

  1. Good for you Kathy. I might say they are getting spoiled! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all these months it's easier to take meal requests than to come up with an idea on my own.

      Delete
  2. Well done. I am shaky enough cooking for family, never mind others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started off the job trying to impress the people I was serving. Now I don't worry about it.

      Delete
  3. I make turnovers from my yard apples with ready made pie crusts or puff pastry. Now I will try making calzone and after that--stromboli.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have gone to White Castle and said these are American calzones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White Castle and salad with Imo's dressing. Doesn't get much more St. Louis than that.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know what a calzone is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did great. I really don't know how we managed before having google at our fingertips for quick and easy access to information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before the internet I had a whole shelf of cookbooks and two file card boxes filled with clippings. Now all I have to do is put inspiration ingredients in the search bar and I have access to hundreds of recipes.

      Delete
  7. Good job. Calzones are very popular here in California. Every Italian restaurant has their own version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to remember to check menus next time we've visiting the kids.

      Delete
  8. quite adventurous of you to agree to make calzones! It looks like they were a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those sound really good! I bet the priests loved them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good sign when most of the leftovers were gone when I got there today.

      Delete