Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Gimme A Beet

One of the things on sale at the Asian market this week was beets (only 59¢ a pound)! I love beets, but Hubby Tony isn't as much of a fan, so I picked out one nice-looking large beet and added it to my bag.

As much as I enjoy fresh beets, I keep them as an occasional treat, mainly because they're a mess to process and cook. Red beet juice stains everything they come into contact with....countertops, cutting boards, and hands. Of course, since I don't cook them much I can never remember exactly how to do it. My BFF Google does, though. 

The first hit on my search for roasting beets was Cookie+Kate's Perfect Roasted Beets. I've never found a bad recipe on that website, and I figured this one was another keeper. Turns out I was right. 

The recipe only had three ingredients-beets, extra virgin olive oil, and salt. I left off the oil and dry roasted my beet. It still tasted good. Instead of the wedges that Kate suggested I did thick slices-mainly because it was easier and I didn't care about the end presentation.

I preheated the oven while I swashed and sliced the beet, then placed my slices on a Silpat silicone baking mat and took a scrubby to every surface the beet had touched. At the end of the cooking time the Silpat was covered in dark red juice spots (but they came off with a quick wash). I ate one of the smaller slices, then went back for a second one. I moved the rest of the pieces to a cooling rack, and then into a container for the refrigerator for munching on the next few days.

Five years ago: What Is Your Hourly Rate?

22 comments:

  1. I love beets too. Once, before making borscht, I used a recipe that called for wrapping each in foil before baking them. This kept in the moisture and the skin just fell off. Usually I have a jar of pickled beets for snacking from the grocery outlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea about keeping a jar in the refrigerator.

      Delete
  2. Try beetroot chocolate cake:
    https://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2023/08/beetroot-cake.html

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pickled beets. My mom fixed us beets a lot when I was a kid and I liked them. I'm the only one. My husband draws the line with beets. He says they taste like dirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that beets are one of those foods that people are passionate about...one way or the other.

      Delete
  4. I like them, but HeWho doesn't like them, and like you said, they are a lot to deal with during prep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I don't recall ever having a beet. Wondering what it tastes like. Perhaps I should start with the canned variety ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canned ones would be an easy way to experiment.

      Delete
  6. I thought I might make a beet and kale salad today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This afternoon I added some of my roasted beets and microwaved mushrooms to a bed of field greens and tossed it with balsamic vinegar and hemp hearts. It was a great snack.

      Delete
  7. I use beets when I make juice. Makes for a great color and helps temper the taste of kale which I hate. But, to temper the beet, I always juice a citrus fruit with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how beet and kale juice would be a good combination. What types of citrus do you add?

      Delete
    2. I just use whatever is on the fruit plate on the dining table. We almost always have tangerines but oranges, lemons, even a lime now and then. Terry is not as fond of the lemon when I use it, a bit tart, but it's still good with the beet. I don't normally juice the citrus except when I have beets.

      Delete
  8. Dr. Google knows how to cook too?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Google knows everything! I've barely referred to a cookbook in years.

      Delete
  9. I know it's not fresh, but I like to buy a bag of frozen mixed root vegetables (beets, carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes), I just roast similar to the way you roasted your fresh beet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen frozen root vegetables in the store! I'll have to look for them.

      Delete
  10. I love beets but rarely if ever buy them. Even the canned ones. Where I use to work had the greatest marinated beets that did not include sugar. They were so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion canned beets have a metallic taste.

      Delete