Thursday, September 7, 2023

Formal Preferred, Please

The daughter of a friend of Hubby Tony is getting married in October,. We've had the date on the calendar for months. When the invitation came several weeks ago I was surprised to read that the dress code was 'black tie preferred'. 

Tony and I aren't particularly black tie people. He can get away with wearing a dark suit, but I didn't have anything appropriate to wear hanging in my closet and would have to buy a dress. 

A couple of days after Tony RSVPd we went to the mall to walk. There's a store that always displays fancy formals in the window. I enjoy seeing them, but before that day there was never a reason to go in. I figured all of their merchandise would be too fancy for what I was looking for, but they had a nice selection of dresses that would work for me. That day was a sweltering one, and I was too sweaty to think about trying anything on, but the helpful associate encouraged me to come back later. 

I did browse the formal wear departments of the anchor stores while I was there, and found out their prices were higher. For a couple of weeks I popped into the thrift stores by my house on a regular basis. I didn't have any luck. 

Earlier this week I made a solo trip to the formal shop, tried on some dresses, and settled on my two favorites. The next day Tony went with me and we decided on sequined sheath dress with a lace jacket.

As she rang up the sale I asked the associate about accessories. She gave me suggestions for shoes (black, red, nude, or silver) and purses (which can either match the dress or the shoes). She also told me that in her opinion I did not need any jewelry other than earrings (and I have some fake diamond dangles that I can polish up and use).  

Now I just have to start looking for the other pieces. I'm not a dress shoe type of person either. Wish me luck.

Five years ago: A Wow! Day

27 comments:

  1. Nice choice! Some of the shoe warehouses have good prices on new dressy shoes. I got a pair and mid heels for my son's wedding AND a pair of low nice-looking flats to wear the rest of the festivities. So glad I did that. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is that I have a very hard to fit foot. It complains if it's not wearing a specific New Balance tennis shoe with specific inserts, Treks, or Tevas.

      Delete
  2. 'black tie preferred' 🤢🤮 That's how I feel. But since you bought the dress, how about some shinny 6 inch black spike high heels to go with it? You'll need to get them soon so you can practice walking (not falling over) in them. Of course we'll want pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in my 20s spike heels were a no-go. Now they're a deal-killer.

      Delete
  3. NICE dress!! I've been thinking about what to wear to a wedding as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. I always thought that Spring and Summer were peak wedding season, but someone told me that's no longer the case.

      Delete
  4. Wow that's an amazing dress. Will you ever wear it again? Too bad you couldn't rent it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite the fact that it has sequins, I can see separating the pieces and wearing either the dress (with a long sweater) or the jacket (over a nice camisole and pants) to a dressy event. The dress was affordable; surprisingly, it would have cost almost as much to rent something.

      Delete
  5. It's a stunning dress. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so elegant! Please have someone take a photo of you and Tony to share?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a very nice dress. I gather you know some very posh people. I've never been invited to a black-tie event. But, I'm not complaining. I did attend a wedding a half century ago for which I borrowed Terry's grandmother's full length mink coat as it was a very cold time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never met the young lady's mother, but her father and stepmother are completely down to earth. The bride works in local media, so perhaps that's driving her choices?

      Delete
  8. The dress is beautiful, I bet you'll be able to find shoes fairly inexpensively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ten years ago I probably would have agreed with you. However, now I'm having trouble wearing anything other than 'comfort' shoes (which cost an arm and a leg).

      Delete
  9. That is a pretty dress. You made a good decision and didn't procrastinate like I once did.

    I had this same dilemma a few years back when my husband got tickets to the Marine Corp Ball. I overpaid for a dress - I bought shoes that I only wore once and had to take them off to dance. I didn't really like the dress that much but time was passing and I had to make a decision. It is wrapped up in my closet and every time I see it, I think of the money wasted. I did buy a fancy pansy dress for my sons wedding in 2020. That was a comfortable dress and I'll keep that and use it from now on. Shoes are a problem with me. I can never find a show that is comfortable anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so much going on right now, but I'm proud of myself for making dress finding a priority. I also have a formal dress from Oldest Son's wedding in my closet, but it screams spring.

      Delete
  10. That is a very pretty dress! With the sequins and lace you definitely don't need a necklace. I also think silver shoes would be perfect! Good luck! I have two really nice dresses that are perfect to wear to weddings but haven't been to a wedding in quite a few years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how weddings seem to be grouped together. For a while it was people of my generation. Then it moved to my children's generation. I haven't been to any for a grandchild yet, but I suppose it will become inevitable.

      Delete
  11. I love the dress. Happy Sunday my friend. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's stunning and so tasteful, I really like it and you could get use out of it beyond attending the Wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope that I haven't spent the money for just one wear.

      Delete