Wednesday, March 29, 2023

I Guess It Just Wasn't Meant To Be

I currently volunteer to maintain a fellowship's group records. Several times a year I participate in a video conference call meeting with other people doing the same job. There are two time options for each meeting. The ones for this month were announced at the last call in January; tonight at 6 pm and Saturday at 1:30 pm (both Eastern time, so an hour earlier than that here). 

Two weeks ago I received a reminder message that asked me to register for the session of my choice and add suggestions for topics to be considered.Two days ago I received the link to the call, and left it unread in my Inbox so I could find it easily. 

Tonight Hubby Tony and I ate dinner early so I could fire up my computer and get logged in. These video calls use a program I'm not too familiar with, so I started the process ten minutes early. Good thing I did. There were a couple of hiccups, but I made it online just in time. There was only one other woman on the screen, and we talked briefly about how strange that was. I went back to the meeting link and saw that the actual start time had been changed to 6:30! We both exited the meeting, saying we'd see each other in a half hour.

During my wait time I straightened up the office and gave Jackson the Cat some pets. 

The second time I logged into the meeting went much smoother, and this time I was pleased to see a whole screenful of faces. The first thing I heard was a man saying something about the meeting being cancelled. At first I thought I hadn't heard him correctly, but he repeated the statement, adding that it was because of unforeseen personal circumstances with the meeting moderator and an alternate date would be announced in a day or two.

Just like that I had a free evening.

Five years ago: A Tale of Two Trees

7 comments:

  1. The best kind of meeting is a cancelled meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder about "unforeseen personal circumstance". Did the kid or the cat knock something liquid over on his or her laptop? Did a show come on he or she just had to watch? Did an old friend show up at his or her door, offering to take them out to dinner? Did they have a court date or jail time? Maybe a toilet overflowed. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning I found out that someone in the main office (which is where the meeting facilitator also works) passed away yesterday.

      Delete
  3. I am writing this while I am sitting through a 90-minute online meeting. I would not have been sad if it would have been cancelled. It's also my Friday so I am ready to start the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea for meetings that allow you to multi-task.

      Delete