Monday, March 20, 2023

Disconnection

I was reading something the other day that really got my attention. The author talked about how Facebook can see your web activity on other sites, which helps it target ads that it thinks might be interesting.

I decided it was time to check up my Facebook activity. During the process I discovered just how much information they had stored. Every time I had clicked through to a website or article Facebook had a record of it. Eek! Time to take action.


 My first stop was https://www.facebook.com/off_facebook_activity. There, I clicked from one topic to another and learned that:

"Off-Facebook activity includes information that businesses and organizations share with us about your interactions with them. For example, your interactions could be visiting their website or using their app."
and

"When you visit a website or use an app, businesses or organizations can share information about your activity with us by using our business tools".

and

"We use your activity to show you things you might be interested in, like events you might want to go to. We also use your activity to show you relevant ads that introduce you to new products and services. If you haven't allowed ads based on data from partners, then this activity isn't currently being used to show you ads."

They also included a promise that the data is secure

"We don't sell your information to anyone.We prohibit businesses or organizations to share sensitive information with us, such as health and financial information, your date of birth and passwords."

Those words all sounded innocent enough, but I have no interested in targeted ads and don't trust their promises at all. I cleared the Activity History and Disconnected everything I could, then toggled off the button next to “Future Off-Facebook Activity” so nothing will be collected.

Until the next time they update the site and reset the settings. Then I'll have to go through the whole process again.

Five years ago today: Spring Is Here?

14 comments:

  1. Wow I didn't know you could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's too hard to remember all the sub/sub/sub menus to check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, until they update and reset everything for folks who (not me), use the book of faces. It's amazing how much sites collect. Though I am seeing a shift in sites where we can decline cookies. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use Facebook as much as I used to, but there are extended family members who like to communicate that way.

      Delete
    2. That's it too. That's how the Book of Faces gets folks through keeping in touch with family.

      Delete
  4. Crazy times, I clicked on the link and it showed but it drected me to the news feed. I will go to my settings and fix this.
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  5. WOW thanks for the link to Facebook activity Kathy, I had now idea I could stop them collecting all this information. Namaste Peggy xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! That will work until they do a redesign and set all options back to ones that benefit the company more.

      Delete
  6. wow you are smart to understand it and do it at once

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned how to find information and use it.

      Delete