Saturday, March 25, 2023

Inattentive Times Two

By lunch time the sun was shining for the first time in days. The temperature was in the mid-50s F, which made it feel like spring. Hubby Tony and I decided to make an adventure out of going to Mass. 

We chose St. Luke the Evangelist church, which was a 20 minute drive from from the house. It was in the middle of a nice neighborhood that we could explore beforehand. Google Maps told us to expect a traffic jam on the Interstate, but we were pleasantly surprised that it had broken up before we got there. After arriving at the church and parking the car we walked 20 minutes one way, then turned around and came back.

Inside the church we chose a pew on the left side, halfway up the aisle. While I was settling in I looked around and admired the beautiful interior (and took a furtive photo of the altar, which doesn't do it justice).
Shortly after Mass started I noticed a father and daughter seated several pews in front of us. The girl looked like she might have been eight or nine years old. She was quiet, but wiggly and fidgety. She looked around at the walls and the ceiling and ran her fingers up and down the top of the pew. At one point she leaned her head back and appeared to be using her finger to count the wall decorations.

About this time I realized that the girls lack of attention was affecting my attention, and switched my gaze back towards the altar. That did the trick.

15 comments:

  1. Good to visit a different church

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a bucket list for you. Visit every church in the St. Louis area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you prayed for us too.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned, as a child, how to lean against my long hair in church, to hold my head upright so I could nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a skill! I never would have thought of that.

      Delete
  5. That is indeed a beautiful church interior. I did the children's lesson at today's service--hiring the vineyard workers at different times and yet paying them all the same. The children loved it as I paid them each a quarter at the end of their "workday." The girl who had been first but was paid the same as the one who got started late in the day said she was grateful to have earned any money and she would put the quarter in her piggy bank. The congregation clapped for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you peruse different neighborhoods and visit new places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I like my neighborhood, I get tired seeing the same things all the time.

      Delete
  7. glad you and your hubby enjoyed the church trip dear Kathy !
    your mentioning of the girl was intriguing .
    may be she was sick or irritated
    great you were able to manage your focus back :)
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me that I need to not jump to conclusions about someone's actions.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful windows and reredos. (I think that's the right word but now it looks funny!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know the word, but Google tells both me and you it's right.

      Delete