Sunday, March 12, 2023

Do Not Seize The Day

I had a very busy weekend. Friday after lunch I left to drive halfway across the state for one of the four yearly business meetings of a fellowship I belong to. The meeting took most of the day on Saturday, then I got back in my car and drove home. Knowing that Daylight Savings Time would kick in overnight I went to bed early so the loss of an hour of sleep wouldn't wipe me out.

Today I had my normal Sunday morning shift cooking breakfast for the six clergy. Although not everyone showed up, the ones who did seemed to appreciate my biscuit sandwiches with deli meat and cheese and a nice fruit salad. After I finished I met Hubby Tony for church. On the way home I realized I was dragging, so for the rest of the day I treated myself gently. That included a nap, a nice walk outside, a healthy dinner, and going to bed early again.

As I crawled into bed I remembered a funny a friend recently shared with me, and vowed to follow its advice tomorrow morning:

Do not seize the day. This will startle the day and may cause it to become aggressive and give you a nasty bite. 

Instead approach the day calmly without making eye contact, pet it gently, and slowly enfold it in a careful embrace 

If the day shows any signs of resistance to being engaged with, it is likely to turn on you. Back off and return to bed.

Five years ago: Changing The Hands Of Time

13 comments:

  1. I can shorten that for you...
    Do not seize the day, return to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny bit about not seizing the day, don't want to startle it. That is a nice thing you do to cook breakfast for the clergy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or skip those first 3 steps and just stay in bed (just a thought).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if I stayed in bed all morning I wouldn't be able to leisurely read the newspaper/fiddle on the computer/let my mind go to waste :-)

      Delete
  4. That comment about driving half way across the state made me chuckle. We live in the middle of the state, and to drive to either end of California, thus half-way, would take us almost a full day. When Jennifer was in college in Oregon, we did this twice a year, taking her to college and then picking her up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, California is much larger than Missouri.

      Delete
  5. That's funny, I like it, about not seizing the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a nice way to get on with the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes staying under the covers with a good book is the only answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I go into the bathroom to get my glasses I'm completely awake, and might as well stay up :-(

      Delete