Friday, March 3, 2023

Different Dinner

Both last Friday and tonight Hubby Tony and I had a volunteer shift at our church's Fish Fry. I was selling dinner tickets, and he was working at the drink table. Both shifts finished at 6:00 pm.

Last week we stayed around and ate dinner there. However, tonight my stomach was craving something simple, and the Fish Fry is anything but that. This afternoon I whipped up a batch of Smashed White Bean Salad, which is light and filling at the same time, but I knew that after the shift I would be hungry. Driving home and getting a meal organized would take a half hour, and by then I would be pretty hangry. I started thinking creatively and asked Tony to do the same.

A couple of hours later Tony came up with a great plan. He portioned out servings of bean salad into plastic containers and put them in a cooler on ice. When it was time to leave for church he carried the cooler down to the car and put it in the back seat. 

After our shifts were over we drove to a grocery store five minutes away. I put the containers of bean salad in a shopping bag and carried them into the store. There we purchased a loaf of bakery bread, a bag of chips, and two apples. In the cafe area we made sandwiches and then ate our dinner. It felt a little strange, but no one else there batted an eye.

Five years ago today: Magazine Yourself

13 comments:

  1. One of these Fridays I'll get to a local Fish Fry. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some organizations fry fish year round, but for me the limited Lenten season is just long enough. After eating the food for a couple of weeks it gets old.

      Delete
  2. The fish fry sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful that you and your husband volunteer. I've been thinking about doing that, just have to make the effort. I'm here from Jeanette's blog. We've been blog friends for many years now. I hope you don't mind me visiting you. Also, we don't have grocery. stores like you do where you can sit and enjoy your meal. I live in Florida but maybe going to the wrong grocery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I ADORE having blog visitors! Thanks for stopping by and hope it's not the last time. There are two large family-owned grocery store chains that dominate in my metropolitan area. The locations closest to my house have some type of seating area where customers (and staff) can eat the food they've purchased there.

      Delete
  4. That smashed bean salad looks really good! I'll have to give it a try! The big Catholic church by my house has their Friday Fish Fry going on right now! We go at least once but haven't yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like the salad. There's just enough mayo to make it taste rich.

      Delete
  5. That looks yummy and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, sounds like a great idea you had! You were smart to be thinking ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get the more my digestive system rebels if I don't treat it correctly :-)

      Delete