Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Not So Burdensome

At the end of February Hubby Tony and I went to a different church for mass just before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. A section of the church's bulletin was devoted to spiritual resources for the upcoming season. One of them was called Forty Lenten Ideas by Janet Schaeffler, OP.

I have referred to the document several times, and because today was the 22nd day of Lent, I decided to focus on Idea 22:

Consider who might be the last person you would leave any materials or resources to if you were to die today. Then spend at least ten minutes in prayer for that person.

To me, the big theme here was disliking someone so much you would cut them completely off. Try as I might, I could not think of anyone I know personally that I would treat like that, so I expanded the concept to public figures. 

The first thing that came to mind was that there are a whole lot of people in the political arena that would fall into the category. I chose the first one who came to mind and sent some prayers their way. I may not agree with the person's ideology, but I asked for good things to come their way anyway.

It was hard to get started praying for someone I didn't like, but when I was finished I actually felt better. It's funny how that happens.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good if not easy exercise

    ReplyDelete
  2. One cannot (really) dislike a person one prays for.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To many ideas popped into my head for this. I think I'll let them pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s a great thing to practice all year long even. Jesus said to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an exercise that would benefit a whole lot of people. Glad it worked well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be open-minded, but sometimes I need a reminder to do it :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you feel that way! Sometimes I'm guilty of not praying for those I have not agreed with, but need to start. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be hard to narrow down that list for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were SO MANY people who fit in the category I just chose the first one that popped into my mind.

      Delete