Monday, August 12, 2024

Phew! Saved by An Internet Search

It seems like recently my blog has had a lot of spam commenters, who leave the same junk comment on a dozen or so posts.

I was going through the latest batch of spam and deleting the comments, but got carried away and deleted an actual comment by an actual person who reads here. I was horrified, because I knew there was no way to undo the mistake.

Or was there?

I started poking around on the internet and came up with an interesting solution. I have my Blogger settings configured so that when someone leave a comment I receive an email that lets me know who left it (their name and URL), on which post, what they said, and the date they said it. I also have my blog's settings such that anyone, including anonymous users, can leave a comment.

Undoing my mistake was relatively easy. I opened the post with the missing comment and chose to comment with a name/URL. Instead of using my own information I added the lost commenter's name and blog address, copied and pasted the comment as received via email, then hit Publish.

Seconds later the information appeared on the post. The time stamp wasn't correct, but I doubt anyone would notice.

Wikipedia

Five years ago: My Computer Is Nothing If Not Helpful

15 comments:

  1. Good idea. I just added that in my settings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing this 'fix' with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I used to get notified of the comments but not anymore. I also do not have a way for people to subscribe to my blog since google dropped the ...(forgot what it was called ) . Any suggestions for subscription to receive it in their email ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't subscribe to blogs. Instead I use an independent reader/news aggregator called Feedly.

      Delete
    2. I was the comment that starts with Brilliant above. Didn't realize it was posted as anonymous.

      Delete
  4. I haven't had to do that yet but I do get email notifications from most comments. But not from several people including YOU! Why, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one commenter who always shows up in the Spam folder, even though I've told email innumerable times it is not spam.

      Delete
  5. Good for you! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! It's good to know that accidents can be repaired - that's not the right word, I know - foggy brain this morning.

    ReplyDelete