Thursday, August 29, 2024

I Was Probably The Only One Who Didn't Know This

I have quite a bit of technology in my house. Each serves a different purpose.
  • The Mac Mini in my office is what I consider my 'main' computer. It's connected to a nice-sized monitor and has a wireless keyboard. All of my important files are saved both to its hard drive and to the cloud.
  • My Windows-based laptop is a nightly accessory when I sit on the couch after dinner, allowing me to interact with the blogs I've subscribed to. It also goes on trips with me so I can keep up with all the computer things I usually do at home
  • Ostensibly, the Iphone is for making calls, but more often than not is pressed into service for texts, apps, and internet searches.
  • The larger screen on the iPad is helpful for reading the online edition of the newspaper with breakfast, and playing online games the rest of the day.

Often I want to compose an email that straddles the line between business and personal. Even if it's a professional message, if I know the person well I sometimes include an emoji. That's easy to do on a phone or tablet, because all you have to do is click on the icon. On bigger devices, not so much.

But I recently learned that there's a way to use shortcuts to have an emoji keyboard pop up on a real computer. On a Mac the sequence of keys is Control + Command + Space. On Windows its Windows logo key + . (period).

Five years ago: Disconnect

19 comments:

  1. I am constantly amazed when I learn something new and am excited……until I find out that literally EVERYBODY else knew it and can’t believe I didn’t.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy that works on my Windows laptop! 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Good to see you showing up with your official avatar instead of as anonymous.

      Delete
    2. This happens when I am on my Windows laptop or on my old iphone 6. My iphone 12 gives me anonymous.

      Delete
  3. Good tip! I’ll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I bet you were one of the people who already knew that.

      Delete
  5. 😊 I didn't know that either, but my keyboard has an emoji sign on F7. I've only had this keyboard for a year or so! 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting that keyboards are entering modern times. (In technology terms mine is ancient.)

      Delete
  6. I have the same except for the laptop. I use my desk top computer for my blog, Instagram and Facebook and of course when I google things. I read on my iPad and play games and talk and text on my phone. It's too small for me to do any real things on it. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I'm traveling more I can't imagine not having a laptop to take with me.

      Delete
  7. Just my MacBook Pro and iPhone for me. Terry has a variety of PCs. He once had a tablet that was a freebie when he purchased a new PC and he liked it for traveling. But it died and he could not justify a new one. I once thought I would like a tablet but now I can do so much on my phone that I gave up that desire. Depending on how it does in the next month or so, it may be time to update the iPhone. Oh, and my MacBook has an emoji screen at the top of the keyboard. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine trying to read a newspaper on a small phone screen, but I suppose I could get used to it if I tried hard enough.

      Delete
    2. The newspapers have been reconfigured to work well with portable devices. Oh, I still miss regular paper newspapers but the world has moved on so I must also.

      Delete
    3. My newspaper's e-edition is just the same as the paper one. On my phone I have to expand an article so much that I spend more time scrolling back and forth across the screen than I do reading it.

      Delete