Thursday, January 18, 2024

No To More Plastic

A couple of weeks ago, before Hubby Tony was able to drive himself to physical therapy I dropped him off for his appointment, parked the car, and walked around downtown Kirkwood. I was able to pop into some places that I had always driven by since we moved to the area. One of them was The Refill Effect, a store which is dedicated to zero waste household products. After browsing through their selection of bulk household and body products sold by the ounce, I told the associate I would be back.

Earlier this week I drained the refill bottle of liquid hand soap and put the empty container where I could see it. Today after a class at the gym I drove three blocks and parked across the street next to the store.

There were several varieties of liquid hand soap on the shelf, but I chose unscented. The associate weighed my empty bottle, then I opened the dispenser spigot and filled the bottle up a third of the way (because it was my first time trying it). She re-weighed the bottle, calculated the price, and gave me a total. My texted receipt touted that my purchase was "tough on germs and gentle on skin, plant-based, gluten-free, vegan, and cruelty-free".

I wonder what product I'm going to run out of next?

Five years ago: How Do You Sleep At Night?

22 comments:

  1. That sounds like an interesting store. I am surprised I haven't heard about this idea before now. I hope it does well and you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what happened to corn starch plastic bags and found this...
    "How long does corn starch plastic last?
    Corn plastic packaging or items made from corn plastic are biodegradable, carbon neutral and compostable. Sounds great, but it can take 90 days to decompose and needs to be disposed of within a commercial composting facility at high temperatures, rather than simply compost at home."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back when I had a compost pile I experimented with putting one of those bags in. It did pretty well, but it was August and the bag was cut into small pieces.

      Delete
  3. Very good Kathy-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would shop at a store like that if I find one near me. That is good you are reusing the container you already had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's annoying to me how much plastic I toss into our recycle bin to be picked up.

      Delete
  5. Hopefully, you gave the container a good wash before refilling it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have, but I figured that since it was soap there wouldn't be an issue.

      Delete
  6. We have a place like that by us but I have never been to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should peek in if you ever have the time.

      Delete
  7. That is a cool place. I have never seen or heard of one before. I'd use it if it exsisted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This area isn't exactly on the cutting edge of most things, so it was cool to see an exception.

      Delete
  8. Such a great idea. You could have a lot of fun trying out different products, figuring out which ones you want to stick with and which ones just aren't for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great idea! I'm trying to reduce waste, but it sure is hard. (By the way, I hope you got my emails about Hawaii.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get your message, and passed the information on.

      Delete
  10. I think most people are just totally unconscious when it comes to plastic. We really need more education about re-using what we have. I'm not familiar with places that refill for cleaning supplies but it is an excellent idea. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Unconscious" is a good word. Sometimes there are multiple options on the shelf, but EVERY ONE of them is packaged in plastic!

      Delete
    2. i think most people are so pressed for time, and gas money, they simply go to the nearest bigbox to buy their stuff. Best thing to do is, try and use less - if possible.

      Delete